My Eagle Bowl attempt

Discussion in 'Follow Along Projects' started by Glenn McCarron, Feb 19, 2016.

  1. mfisher

    mfisher Super Moderator Staff Member

    Congrats. A first and a Second place.
    If I was a judge the Eagle Bowl would have outscored the Dizzy just on the complexity of construction.

    Both are extremely well done.
    As I tell folks, myself and my bowls are still a work in progress. Your work definitely is a cut above mine.
     
  2. stuart johnson

    stuart johnson Super Moderator Staff Member

    Nothing wrong with number one and number two. The stacked dizzy bowl probably had more of a visual wow factor as opposed to the skill required with the eagle bowl. At least that is my take on the the two. In any event congratulations.
     
  3. Glenn McCarron

    Glenn McCarron PRO Member

    Thank you Mike and Stuart, certainly was a fun experience.
     
  4. James Allison

    James Allison PRO Member

    Great job! Thanks to Lloyd for steering me to your post as I am considering this as my introduction to turning using SegPro & LP. I'm a little confused about the horizontal cut showing the four lines, photo 1089. I can't visualize the eagle's tail. I also appreciate the hint about carving the interior with the bandsaw.

    I see kerfs on the lineal lamination, but not in the final flock of eagles. I also can't find ths show kerfs button in my edition (.018) of LP
     
  5. Glenn McCarron

    Glenn McCarron PRO Member

    I can't seem to determine which picture is 1089 but are you referring to post #16? If so I think I was just projecting both sides of the eagle so that my cut would be exactly in the centre. The eagle comes together when you do the cut and then flip one side. Hope that helps, it's been a bit since I did the project. Take your time with this project as any small errors will show up with misalignments.

    I did have a bit of a problem seeing the eagles initially so I actually made a lamination with construction paper and did the cuts with sizzors instead of wasting wood. It was one of those ah ha moments when I could finally visualize the eagle.
     
  6. Lloyd Johnson

    Lloyd Johnson Administrator Staff Member

    James,

    If you eve see something in a video tutorial that does not exist on the current release of the software, it simply means that the user interface has changed. Be assured, though, that I never remove any functionality unless it is meaningless. The change were made to simplify the user interface. For example, at one time, it was necessary to click the 'kerfs' button to have the software display where the kerfs should be for making the cuts for the next generation. Now, I always show four representative saw kerfs so there is no reason to have that button anymore.

    The last significant release I made was totally for simplification purposes - to benefit the user but the greater reason was to simplify the logic behind the code. Redundant buttons move the decimal over as to the complexity of the code and so I looked for opportunities to remove redundant buttons. For example, there used to be two ways to select Flip, Flop, Incline and Decline. By removing the redundancy, I was able to remove over 500 lines of code. When you are both the designer, coder and software debugger, it is always a good thing if you can simplify the code.

    Lloyd
     
    mfisher likes this.
  7. 007

    007 New Member

    Very nice
     

Share This Page