Open-Segment - Flower

Discussion in 'Follow Along Projects' started by Bob Beaupre, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Bob Beaupre

Bob Beaupre Administrator Staff Member

Open segment bowl 48 segments 23 rows the top two are solid segmented rings the top one is Paduak and the second is Yellowheart, I may add a thin Maple we'll see. Should be 1057 pieces.

Well I've designed it in WTP, also approximated it in Segment Pro to get the 3d view and the paint page.
    All the wood for the open-segment pieces are milled and the first open-segment row is glued and sanded
    WTP screen shot
    Flower - Side View - WTP.jpg
    This is the approximation view from Segment Pro
    Flower - Side View - Segment PRO.jpg Flower - Top View - Segment PRO.jpg

The paint page form Segment Pro
    Flower Layout - Segment PRO.jpg
    Now I have hand written the segment count across the bottom, trying to keep the right order for the colors.
    Flower Layout - Segment PRO LABELED.jpg

I'm using four different species Maple, Padauk, Yellowheart, & Chakte-viga
    I have the summary from Segment Pro (attached PDF) but the profile is a little different then the one I did in WTP (attached PDF) so I'm only have that as a reference.

To figure out how much of each wood to mill I used the export to Excel CSV and did a little work in Excel (attached)

I have the segments cut for the first three rows, I've made then the same diameter so I have some less setup time.
    The first row glued on and sanded it flat.
    First Open Segment Row.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Bob Beaupre

Attached is the WTP file. The Segmene PRO will not upload.
    I've also, added the ring view from both WTP & Segment PRO (note the top ring is missing in the print out from Segment PRO)

Any questions please ask.
    As I build and you have any suggestion please post them

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  3. Glenn McCarron

Glenn McCarron PRO Member

Wow, great introduction to what looks like an incredible bowl. Your choices for color are amazing. Will be fun to watch your progress.

4. mfisher

mfisher Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Bob:
    Looks like another great project you are starting. Just a suggestion, Consider placing the WTP and associated files in a new thread in the Member Contributed Project Forum.

This thread is great for posting your project. The other is a good place for people to look for projects and the WTP files.

Thanks again for all your posts.

5. Bob Beaupre

Mike, I'll post them there once I have it complete along with the last bowl. Along with some pictures

mfisher likes this.
  6. mfisher

Great. Looking forward to seeing the completed bowl.

(like your new sig)

7. Bob Beaupre

Courtesy of Lloyd he said it was his Halloween bowl

8. Bob Beaupre

Second row glued and drying

Second Segment Row.jpg IMG_20161207_145402350.jpg

9. stuart johnson

stuart johnson Super Moderator Staff Member

Bob, I don't do and have no desire to do open segmented work but how do you keep your segments and rings in sync when the segment edges are so out of alignment? It looks like the segment length would be varying between segments although it would be taken up by the open space.

10. Bob Beaupre

When they are small diameter like this the stomper works great the rings stay concentric, as the bowl gets taller the stomper can get a little wiggle so I use hot glued pieces on the sides after I dry fit to my satisfaction. And a keen eye

11. Bob Beaupre

Well we got back to the bowl this morning. Been a little under the weather fighting a bout of diverticulitis, so I didn't feel like dealing with small pieces.
    I got third segmented row glued on
    IMG_20161210_113103313.jpg

12. Glenn McCarron

Hope your feeling better. I thought it was a bit quiet on the forum. The project is looking good.

13. mfisher

Looks like your project is progress well.

My wife suffers from diverticulitis at times. It is no fun according to her. I can only imagine. I am blessed with a bullet proof gut.

14. Bob Beaupre

A little turning and clean up before adding a new row
    IMG_20161211_140902914.jpg

15. Glenn McCarron

So far so good, looking awesome. Are you doing some sort of an insert in the bottom or will that recess be turned away?

16. Bob Beaupre

That will be turned away. That is for centering on the open segment plate

17. Glenn McCarron

The first tool you use to turn the inside is your bowl gouge?

18. Bob Beaupre

Actually I'm using a 1/4" detail gouge Thompson tools.
    Small tool and very very light cuts

19. Glenn McCarron

That's a tool that I should consider buying. I have a 1/2 Detail Gouge and was wondering about a smaller one.

20. Bob Beaupre

I look at it this way. Segment bowel are all side grain, so it is the same as spindle turning, right.

The 1/4" detail gouge was $30.00 un-handled.

Thompson tools are pretty reasonable and he has a big selection of sizes and flute designs. And great steel.