Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Follow Along Projects' started by Bob Beaupre, Dec 7, 2016.
Well we are feeling better. Next two rows are cut and sanded. Open segment row 4 ready to glue
Anymore progress or are busy shovelling snow as well?
Getting ready for row five
Using the segeasy plate how long do you let it stand before sanding?
With the 48 segment plate, I've been letting in under pressure for at least an hour or two before even trying to pull the plate off, because there is so much surface area it is a little chore to get it off. So by then it is good enough to sand.
Row seven glued
Do you cut segments as you go or do you cut ahead while the glue dries?
I've grouped segments in WTP and will cut all the segments in that group. Rows 7, 8, 9 & 10 are in this group
Row eight glued on.
I've been experimenting with centering of my segments and been using a new system the last few rows and it gets me centered dead nuts.
Starts with a piece of 5/8" OD chrome moly tube and a hard wood boss with a section to give me a friction fit in the open-segment plate.
this also slides into the banjo so I have a nice horizontal position to apply glue
The tube then fits into a 5/8" indent in the base of the bowl and the tail stock
Slide it up and they are dead on as far as center to center. No flex no side movement.
I'll hold some pressure until the glue grabs and then it is just a loosening of the tail stock, a pull and the tube and boss come loose of the open-segment plate and I put on the bench with a weight on top and I go after the glue clean up
Could make a pretty big vessel with that apparatus. Awesome job.
Just made it the length of tube I had. Gives me a little elbow room.
I get no lateral movement, before as I got taller there could be some movement, so I've tried hot gluing stops but the pieces are only held in by friction and if your lucky you can get a rubber band to stay in place but they move sometimes. This does not care about the OD of your parts, It just keeps center lined up with center.
Row nine glued on
Time to clean up the bottom and the inside a little
Hot glue a block at the bottom
Drill with a 5/8"forstner bit
Ready for next row tomorrow
Bob, you are making progress. Some day I'll try a petal bowl like Glenn's but I have no desire (yet) to do open segment. Your clamping method seems to work on the same principle as Lloyd's stomper for centering the ring. It looks like it might be more stable on taller pieces. Keep the ideas coming.
I'm with Stuart, Bob's bowl simply won't hold water! LOL Just poking fun as they are still very beautiful.
Stuart I have a stomper and it works great. But when the bowl starts getting a little tall there is movement side to side. The stomper stem being plastic flexes. It not rigid enough for these small segment bowls that's when I go to the tube in the lathe.
Row 18 on and drying
Pictures!!!!!! ( just quoting someone else)
Row 18 on and flattened.