• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Ring Bowl

mfisher

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is a take off of a bowl made from rings by Dennis Edwards with a segmented ring top. I like sw designs. The ring blank was made up of walnut, maple, zebra wood, bloodwood, chakte-kok. 2 8x8x4" blanks were made. the blanks were then cut into 1/8 thick slabs. I designed the bowl using WTP. I exported the cut summary to excel. In excel I could determine how many rings per slab I could achive. Some slabs I could cut 3 rings. Some I could only get 1.

Each ring was off set about 1/8 inch , keying on the two slim maple stips next to the center maple piece.

dizzy bowl.JPG

Terrific, I don't remember if I've ever seen a bowl from a board that didn't have the straight sides. Be sure and enter in your gallery and thanks for posting.

About the time you think you've seen it all, someone comes along and adds a new twist - and what a great new twist it is.
If you could add this to the Gallery, I'll also post it to our Facebook page.
Thanks, Mike.

I posted the bowl in the Gallery. Lloyd, I could provide the WTP file if you could tell me where to post it.

Mike, the next category up Member Contributed Projects Forum is where to post projects. I'll be interested in seeing the WTP file.

Thanks Stuart. Guess I missed it or not paying attention to all the good things on this new site.

And thanks everyone for the kind words.

Thanks for all the kind replies.
it may take me awhile but I am working on a write up on how I did the bowl. Profile was modified in 3Design, WTP was used to determine OD / ID for each ring and the segmented top. I used the cut summary from WTP to import into excel. There I could sort by OD + ID to assist in determining how many rings I could get from the 1/8 thick board.

When I am done, I will post it in the proper section of this forum.

This is truly inspirational. I have been eyeing my scrap pile for a while now with this process in mind. Not sure if I would come up with the design you did but now I have that vision.

Back