New Style for Forum under test - please comment.

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Help with New Forum and Gallery' started by Lloyd Johnson, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Lloyd Johnson

Lloyd Johnson Administrator Staff Member

I wanted something that was easier to read and so I selected a different style that uses a san-serif font and have increased the size of if a bit. With the larger resolution screens, a typical 12-point font is more like an 8-10 point font and so it seems to me that a bit larger is easier to read - especially given that not many of us are under 40 anymore. Or 50.

I also wanted something where it was very easy to see where new, unread posts can be found.

I'm anxious to hear what you think about this new style. You still have the option of using the prior style. At the bottom of the page, you can click on the link that says Big Adara and change that to Big Splash for the prior style. This will change your display to the smaller fonts and so you are welcome to use whichever style you prefer.

2. stuart johnson

stuart johnson Super Moderator Staff Member

I like the new style. Is this the same software package used by Segmented Woodturners? If so maybe you can get them to switch.

3. Glenn McCarron

Glenn McCarron PRO Member

If I could keep "BIG SPLASH" but with a slightly bigger font I would be happy. I like the banners in Big Splash that separates the forum topics and I really dislike all the red type and black sidebars on the right side of Big Adara. Overall I think Big Splash is aesthetically more pleasing to look at.

4. Lloyd Johnson

Lloyd Johnson Administrator Staff Member

I've changed the font sizes in Big Splash to match those in Big Adara as I think that most will find it easier to read. I've also changed it to be the default as I don't disagree with your assessment.

Stuart,

I'll have Dennis look at this style. He's probably looking at this and others.

5. Art Bodwell

Art Bodwell PRO Member

Or over 70. ;) Love the new look. On my high def screen when I first got it I changed some things like email to the black background. Makes a big difference. Love the new font size. Much easier to read. I agree with Stuart 's comment on getting segmented turners to do the same think with the font.

6. Glenn McCarron

Ask and you shall receive. Thanks Lloyd.

7. Bob Beaupre

Bob Beaupre Administrator Staff Member

Bigger font helps my eyes that you

8. Glenn McCarron

Can't make the font to big though. Any new younger turners that come along might think that the site is full of old geezers that can't see. I'll rephrase that "old wise geezers"

9. jwmadzelan

jwmadzelan PRO Member

I like the new size. Have old eyes and had a hard time reading.

10. mfisher

mfisher Super Moderator Staff Member

Looks good. No problem with the new font size.

11. stuart johnson

stuart johnson Super Moderator Staff Member

I use ctrl and mouse wheel to change the type size larger on a couple different sites. It's nice to not have to mess with it every time.

12. Halling51

Halling51 Member

If you use Ctrl+ the + sign in your Firefox and others you get easy a bigger letter(-s). Just the easy way folks.