• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.
The Old Maids
Curly

The Old Maids

My neighbors are twins that are 85 years old. They call themselves the 'Old Maids'. I don't know why as they've both buried more than their share of husbands then reunited a few years ago. They asked me to make them a set of bowls for their birthday. I drew a basic bowl in 3D Design Pro and let them push and pull on various points so they each came up with their own design. I was able to 'modify' some of the rings and was able to get both bowls from 32 full size rings by splitting them on the lathe. The mosaic design was built in Woodturner PRO and also rearranged by the girls to be unique. The veneer was added to come to 1984 pieces, the same year we met. ~ 9 inches tall and 7,000 glue lines.
Good job on a very special set of bowls. Working with them while the helped with the design process must have been a lot of fun. Thanks for posting.

Very nice. I assume it is Purple Heart but did you do anything to make the color so vibrant. A recent project that I did left my purple Heart more brown almost as dark as walnut. Tried putting it in the sun but they seemed to get darker.

@stuart johnson Thank you for the kind words and the 5 star rating. I had played with the software for several months but these bowls were the first time I actually went through the whole process and completed a project. I learned a lot about the software and lot more about the girls. Both were a lot of fun.

@Glenn McCarron Thank you for the kind words. Yes, it's Purpleheart. I picked out the board about 20 years ago from a place called Yukon Lumber in Norfolk, Virginia. They had just received an entire room of Purpleheart and I picked out 2 of the 'purpleist' boards they had. Someone once told me that sunlight will turn Purpleheart brown so this board was wrapped in a tarp and stored in an unlit attic. Hard to tell by the picture but the Yellowheart is a quartersawn board with great flecks of grain in it. The contrast may help the Purpleheart pop a little? The bowls are finished in 2 coats of Seal Coat, 2 coats of thinned Spar varnish with UV protection and 3 coats of Clear Poly. Every coat of finish was buffed out with an old 500 grit Abralon pad. No sandpaper ever touched the wood. I'm making a Purpleheart/Yellowheart checkerboard weed pot from the scraps of this project for one of my wife's girlfriends. She liked the color combination too. Again, Thank you.

@Bob Beaupre Thank you for the kind words. I tried to talk the ladies into using only 3 or 4 species of wood but they wanted Purpleheart, Yellowheart, Walnut, Cherry, Hard Maple and the Wenge tops and bottoms. I'll let them know you like choices. Again, thank you.

Media information

Category
Segmented Turnings
Added by
Curly
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Image metadata

Filename