• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.
Triangle Illusion
Curly

Triangle Illusion

My wife wanted a bowl for the front door table for our keys. My daughter wanted a hexagon and I wanted to try the segmented triangle illusion. This is what I can up with.
Reactions: Harald Nygaard
@mfisher Thank you for the kind words and the question. I'm not sure on the time on the glue up as I do them in groups of 3 segments of triangles. There are 24 triangles in the platter but I made enough segments to make a total of 40 triangles (120 segments) as I have another project and the table saw was set up. The segments are cut so the short edge of the segment is the same length as the mitered edge of the segment. There are 2 sets of triangles. One is walnut, maple then cherry (marked with a number 1) and the other is walnut, cherry then the maple (marked with a number 2). Then it's a matter of truing up the triangles to remove excess glue and imperfections and I cut the bottoms 90 degrees to the sides with a crosscut sled on the band saw. I then arrange (glue) the triangles for the 3D affect in 2 separate row of 5 and two separate rows of 7 triangles. Then glue a 5 row to a 7 row. Then glue the other 5 row to the other 7 row. After that glue the rows of 7 together. It sounds worse than it is but marking the triangles with the numbers keeps it pretty simple. I took some pictures as I went and I would be happy to share them but I can't figure out how to put a picture in this comment. It appears to me the pictures have to be on a website to link a URL to the comment and I don't have a way of doing that. I don't want to take up spots on the front page of the forum with pictures of triangles, jigs and segments either. To get back to your question .... probably a week of gluing triangles and rows. Getting it on and off the lathe is another story and the little plugs in the skirt of the platter are made from the center sections of the triangle bottoms I cut off to flatten them before gluing up the rows. Again, thank you for the question.

@Lloyd Johnson Thank you for the kind words. I have one more illusion that I'm working on now that I've had on my woodworking bucket list for a long time. After that I plan on jumping into the Woodturnerpro software and seeing what new thing I can come up with. I've been going over some of the tutorials when I have the chance and I'm trying to see if the answer to some of my questions are already out there on the site or the internet. Thank you in advance for your help and for developing the software and the website.

Media information

Category
Segmented Turnings
Added by
Curly
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device