Diamond feature ring

Discussion in 'Segmented Turnings Forum' started by Cheryl, May 14, 2018.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl New Member

Hi! I am new to Segment PRO and wanted to add the diamond feature ring that is available as a species. Where is the cut plan for this or do I need to create it in Lamination PRO using the dimensions provided for the feature ring? Thank you.

2. mfisher

mfisher Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Cheryl.
    Sorry for the delay on responses. Was out of town for a few days.

WTP nor SP creates a cut list for a diamond segment ring. You could create it in LP. What is important is knowing the segment length you need for the featured ring which you would get from SP or WTP. You would need to adjust your strips in LP so the repeating unit is very close to or matches the desired segment length.

Jim Rogers explains a simple process for making diamonds for a featured ring.
    Title: Jim Rodgers' Designs in Wood-Making Diamonds in Vessel

You could also do a search for vids that give directions on how to create.

3. Cheryl

Cheryl New Member

Thanks for the info mfisher. I will check out the link and search for some videos. I was able to get a similar diamond design in LP using the dimensions of the feature ring from SP but the blackwood diamond was larger than I would like. I like the look of the diamond feature ring in SP with a smaller black diamond. Thanks again for the reply and no need to apologize for the delay.

4. Alex Garcia

Alex Garcia PRO Member

It would be interesting to know if anyone has made a video of how to make the diamond ring using the LP method.

5. mfisher

mfisher Super Moderator Staff Member

Not sure any vids. but here is a link to a thread where Lloyd gives some details on how to do in LP
    Title: Designing Diamonds in Lamination Pro

6. Lloyd Johnson

Lloyd Johnson Administrator Staff Member

Here is a link to a video tutorial that shows making a diamond pattern using the SW Design tool. The diamond part of the tutorial starts at about the 8:30 mark.

This is a great way to make a diamond because it gives you great control over how large you want the diamond to be. Here's the link:

Title: Using Lamination PRO with Segment PRO