• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.
  • Due to a scam attack, the gallery is temporarily turned off. I am working to get this fixed but I have some other things that are higher prioriity. I do hope to have it back soon and there shouldn't be any changes to the content. At least, that is the hope.

Designing Diamonds in Lamination Pro

Edwin Dodds

PRO Member
Hello,

I've been working with Lamination Pro, but I can't seem to achieve what I'm looking for.
I'd like to design a vessel with diamonds in the feature ring. I'm trying to design a diamond with a padauk 'eye' in the middle, surrounded by maple, and the maple surrounded by walnut.
I can get the maple and the walnut no problem, the issue is getting the padauk in the middle without having padauk show up around the perimeter somewhere.
Is this do-able?

Thanks,

Ed.

Hi Ed,

Make sure you click the Symmetric button and then use five strips of wood where strips 1 and 5 are 5/8" Walnut , 2 and 4 are 1/8" Maple and strip 3 is 3/8" Padauk (the thicknesses of each strip is up to you). Then set the Laminate Cut Width to 5/8" and click the 1st Generation button. Finally click the 'Slide' button and you should get the following result:
Padauk Diamond.jpg

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Lloyd

This is a simple solution to a complex problem. Thanks Lloyd. I have a question though. When cutting the slide to make the diamond, is the software allowing for the kerf so that the points of the diamond line up? The software is ambiguous on this point.
thanks

Yes. In Lamination PRO, any time a kerf is shown, the resulting image takes the kerf into consideration and shows what the design will look like after your work in the shop.

Lloyd, I've been trying this technique but have not been successful. Yes I do everything as suggested above but when I slide the two cut half I get diamonds which touch at the points which do not allow me any cut width to make my segments. Not really sure what I'm doing wrong. I need defined diamonds with enough distance between them so I can cut each diamond for my feature ring. Can you help?

Hi John,

You can solve this in two different ways. First, if you reduce the width of the center strip, diamond will get smaller which will leave space at the ends. The software will show you exactly what the finished design will look like, assuming you have selected the correct saw blade width in File > Options and the wood has been cut to the exact dimensions, so if you don't see the desired results in Lamination PRO, you won't get them in the shop either.

The second way is to increase the width of the kerf you make by cutting the board through the middle for sliding. If you are making a single cut for this kerf (this is typical), your kerf is the width of your sawblade. If you remove more wood by making two cuts, the diamond will also get a little smaller, leaving a gap at the ends.

The way I would do this is to put the 'ears' of the board against your saw fence and then cut the board not in the middle, but a little less - perhaps 1/8" less. Then take the rest of the board and flip it so that the other ears are agains the fence and make the identical cut. I usually do this by default as it guarantees that the kerf is in the center of the board.

I hope that helps.
Lloyd

Back