• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Where do you find your wood?

cnsranch

Jerry Prinds
One of the cool things about segmented turning is the ability to build using scrapwood. Any secrets to keeping from emptying your wallet as you expand your inventory of exotics?

- Join a wood club that local wood suppliers offer discounts. I can get 10-15% off at woodworkers source by belonging to the SCW woodclub.

- Do group buys with other wood workers.

- At our club we have a free wood area. It is amazing what some people throw away.

Happy hunting.

But in the end, yes segment turning using some exotics is just expensive. But the end product is worth it.

The good thing with segmenting, the exotics are usually a small percentage of the vessel, so not much is needed.

For doing open segment work, I use eBay all the time. There are several companies that make 'thin lumber' and if you search eBay for that you'll see that there are lots of choices in everything from 1/8" to 3/8" in a number of different species (fex exotics, though). They are all sanded for thickness and when I apply a micrometer to them, they are usually accurate to within a few hundredths.

The boards are usually about 3" wide and 18"- 24" so that they can fit in a USPS Priority Mail box. I keep stacks of each species near my saws so that I can just grab one and cut it into the widths I'll need. This approach lets me cut segments for a project very quickly.

Back