• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Need Input On This LP Design

cnsranch

Jerry Prinds
I'm in the process of putting together a project with a southwest feature ring. The ring has an od of 11.8" id 10.6" width 1.34". Pic of LP design attached.
LP wants a laminate length of 59.22" total of 71.06" for 20% allowance.
e's my question......is there some kind of rule of thumb I can use to make 2 laminates at, say, 36" each and go from there? Seems like a 6' long laminate will be hard to handle.
What say you, oh Great Ones?
20170208_093114_HDR-1.jpg

I've done this with a diamond pattern and don't see any reason why it won't work. Just make certain the thickness of the two strips are the same. I would also batch the cuts by cutting strip one then make the same cut on strip two. Be sure and make the strips better than twice as long for safe cutting.

I've done this with a diamond pattern and don't see any reason why it won't work. Just make certain the thickness of the two strips are the same. I would also batch the cuts by cutting strip one then make the same cut on strip two. Be sure and make the strips better than twice as long for safe cutting.
Thanks, Stuart. I think that if I tell LP that I want 6 repeating units and make two sets to get my 12 I'll be ok.

I think that if I tell LP that I want 6 repeating units and make two sets to get my 12 I'll be ok.
One thing I like to do when I make my laminated board is to glue the strips together offset at the angle of your first cut. Your first and last cuts will waste almost no wood that way.

I seldom make a laminated board more than 30-36". It is VERY important that the board remain flat both while it is laying flat on a surface and that when it is turned up on its edge that the points of all 'ears' touch the surface of a table saw surface. If there is cupping with this last test, I'll cut the board in two because any cupping will seriously affect the alignment of joints.

Making a SW design is a GREAT way to get into multi-generation laminations. The most important thing is that when you glue your 1st generation board together, the edge of the first strip MUST be at a perfect right-angle to the rest of the board. Do this correctly and there is no reason why your SW design won't turn out perfectly and you'll be amazed at how fast it is to make a design that looks far difficult to build than it actually is. Doing the same design in a stacked wood method will take you more than twice as long and it won't turn out as good as doing it the Lamination PRO way.

Pictures or it never happened. :->

One more thing - I really like your design. One thing I usually do is remove more of the center but since you have just a single strip at the center of the board, it isn't necessary. However, do not try to make the center cut in a single pass because there is simply no way to center that cut. Instead, make two passes - one with each edge of ears against the fence - even if this makes the blue area more than 1/8" inch. This will make sure that the wood removed from the center is equa-distant from both edges of the laminated board.

Back