• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Gaps in between rings

Chris Neilan

PRO Member
I thought I had flattened the rings, but I see some holidays (gaps) between some rings. Aside rom parting the offending ring off and remaking it, any tips to hide them? I think when I turn the profile thinner, they may diminish as the inside shows no gaps... Frustrating, but not surprising!

Attachments

• Holidays.JPG
    Holidays.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 22
If it will fit the design, use a parting tool and cut a grove, put in some inlay.
When checking ring for flat run a straight edge across the flatten face and shine a bright light from the back side this will show any imperfections. Waiting to address the problem until you turn it thinner may be worse then address it now, voice of experience.

The gap may be too big to try this. I have had some success with the bowl mounted on the lathe I apply either CA or Titebond glue to the gap. I turn on the lathe at a slow speed and sand with 80 or 100 grit sand paper. The sanding creates enough fine wood dust that sticks to the glue and fills the gap. The success came when the rings were all the same wood. So this might work for you, since there is multiple wood species. Might be worth a try before parting off the offending rings.

Bob gave a good tip for checking flatness of the ring before mounting the next one.

I think I will cut my loss and part off the ring. I was sure it was flat, but obviously it wasn't. I also wonder if I had too much glue and the squeeze out was not equal around the ring. Well, i'll never know!

We have all been there and done that. For me it is fairly easy to flatten the top of the ring that is mounted to the lathe. The hardest part is getting the next ring bottom that will be glued on flat. After running the rings through a drum sander, I use a large sanding board to hand sand the surface flat.

Chris I do all my ring flattening on the lathe. when you thick it is close put some concentric rings on the face with a pencil when they are all gone you ring should be flat. check it with the straight edge and bring light. If your not sure sand it some more. It's easy to sand, a pain in the a$$ to cut a ring off. Been there done that

I used my drum sander, but i think the paper was loose at one end and that may have thrown it off. I guess the magic eraser (parting tool) is next.
Bob, i saw your bowl on woodchuckers- fantastic!

If your ring has a slight dip on the edge you might be able to turn it out. Other than parting the ring off I don't know of a good fix. Okay there is one. Put a bead of glue along the seam, rub it in good, add a second beard, sand while wet with a random orbit sander. The paper will clog up and you might need to do it a couple of times. This is a fix for panel joints that don't fit right. It may or may not work for your rings. I have used on segments a few times. It's not perfect but beats the burn pile.

Back