• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

cutting segments on feature ring

Chuck Marsh

PRO Member
I am making my first diamond feature ring. I am testing it with scrap wood first and a thought came to me. After I create my strip of diamonds, I will be cutting them into segments. The thing that has me concerned is the kerf that the saw blade makes. It will shorten up the segment edge length by 1/16" per side and change the diameter of the ring. Is this correct? Also, I thought about putting 1/8" spacers in between the diamonds to make up the difference. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Chuck

Hi Chuck.
- It is helpful if you would attach your LP file for use to look at and to give the dimensions of your featured ring. That is diameter, SEL and heigth of the featured ring.

- You can increase the space around the diamond by increasing the first cut width. that may give you the added space between the diamonds to account for the saw kirf.

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to add 1/8" spacers to make up the saw kerf plus I think it will look better too.

Chuck

If you've already cut your segments into thick retangular segments and now need to cut the angles, you can replace the missing wood from the saw kerf like this...

When you cut the angles on both ends, don't make the cuts so that they go perfectly to each edge of the segment edge length. Instead move the segment about 1/16" so that the cut ends about 1/16" back from the long face of the segment (where the SEL is calculated). Make all of your cuts like that and when you glue the segments together in a ring, it will be the diameter that was calculated initially.

What you are doing is making the SEL about 1/8" wider than was calculated.

I always do it this way so I don't have to remember to add 1/8" in Lamination PRO. It also leaves a 1/16" facet that you slide against a stop to make the 2nd angle on each segment.

Good morning LLoyd, is there a video/YouTube showing the processes/tips & tricks/jigs involved in accurately glueing laminations, cutting and regluing the next generation, and then cutting the segments? Thanks so much!

Hi Jamie
While not a video the attached pdf has a presentation done by Lloyd on multigenerational cuts.

Attachments

• Tips and Tricks.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 21
Back