Segment kick back

Discussion in 'Jigs and Tools Forum' started by R. Engle, Jan 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. R. Engle

R. Engle PRO Member

Any help on why small edge length segs are kicking back. They usually hit my length stop and bounce out of sight. Photo of set up is attached. IMG_0317_InPixio.jpg

2. mfisher

mfisher Super Moderator Staff Member

I have had a few "kick back". My guess is that a tooth is catching the segment at the end of the cut. Also the air movement created by the saw blade tends to push small segments.Larger pieces seem to be heavy enough to fall away down the zero clearance ramp. Smaller pieces are lite enough to not break away till the last bit is cut.

- For me slowing my cut speed (how fast I am pushing the sled) seems to help some
    - Using a good sharp blade helps
    - I have made a zero clearance ramp that provides a bit more support to the cut piece seems to help. The ramp is not the 45 degree angle. The top of the zero clearance is also the same height as the cut sled. Your photo seems to show your zero clearance to be lower.

Even with all this, I still get a piece that sometimes fly's off.

3. R. Engle

R. Engle PRO Member

Thanks, I'll check the ramp height. My shop is a community shop at a retirement community. So, I'll need to wait till morning to check it. The photo does appear to be low. FYI I am going to make a new sled more to the drawings then the one pictured.

4. Glenn McCarron

Glenn McCarron PRO Member

I have the same issue at times. I have the common seg easy sled much like yours and my zero clearance ramp is level with the sled, my blade is sharp. I can cut 35 or 40 and not have a single launch but every so often away they go. Don't stand in line with the blade I guess is the moral of the story.

5. mfisher

6. Bob Beaupre

Bob Beaupre Administrator Staff Member

I don't see the positioning of your length stop. How much room between the positioning and the front of the blade do you have enough clearance?
    One tip I got from Ray Feltz, when cutting very small segments, and this is a little counter-intuitive, raise your blade as high as it will go. In the position, you have it in your picture the teeth of the blade are moving forward more than downward. By raising the blade the teeth are moving downward more.

7. mfisher

Good tip Bob.

8. Glenn McCarron

Glenn McCarron PRO Member

Nice looking shop Mike. Everything you could possibly want or use. Do you book lathe time or for different tools?

9. mfisher

-The only machine that has a sign up is the CNC router. Everything else is pretty much first come. There are times when it is a bit of a wait for the lathes. Get there in the morning and it is not a problem
    Cost $35 per year to be a member of the club.

10. R. Engle

R. Engle PRO Member

The drop off was not even with the sled, it is now. Raising blade height really helped. I also added a cheezy cardboard roof which helped some. Photos attached are the seg set-up and a few of the shop at the retirement community where I live.

Attached Files:

11. mfisher

I like the cardboard. At times I have raised the blade higher than normal and began cutting. I did have less flying segments. Should of made the connection. Glad Bob posted the tip.