1. CLICK HERE to watch the new Introductory Video announcing the release of Segment PRO.

2. I'm pleased to announce that Tom Lohman, the master of high-density Painted Segment bowls has created Volume 1 of designs for Segment PRO. His volume includes 30 designs for 48, 60 and 72-segment designs - all for the low price of $15. To see sample pictures or to purchase the volume, please visit his website at segmentedturning.org.
  1. Brent Dalrymple

Brent Dalrymple PRO Member

Here is the plan and a photo of my high-density open segment bowl, "Forest". 96 segments per ring.

Attached Files:

2. Bob Beaupre

Bob Beaupre Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the plans Brent

3. mfisher

mfisher Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, thank you. What a great bowl.

4. mfisher

Bob, I downloaded the file, SP said it imported it. It shows up in the plan folder. But when I go to open it, SP quits working and crashes.

Have you been able to open it?

5. Bob Beaupre

No it crashes my shop computer

6. Bob Beaupre

saw a brief message missing species

7. Bob Beaupre

We'll have to wait for Lloyd to say if it the file or SP

8. mfisher

Hopefully Lloyd will figure it out for us. Pretty excited if more members can/will share some of their designs.

I didn't know if it was me or what.

9. Brent Dalrymple

I just replaced the file. See if that works. The first time I dragged the file onto the mac side and proceeded from there (I try to avoid windows whenever possible, particularlywhen on the internet). With most files, that works, but maybe OSX did something to the file that SP didn't like. This time I loaded the file directly using windows.

If it doesn't work now, it may not be my fault.

10. Bob Beaupre

Nope still crashes

11. Brent Dalrymple

Then I don't know what the problem might be. I followed the instructions for exporting the file that Lloyd posted and the file appeared exactly where he said it should. When posting I browsed to that file and uploaded it just like any file/image. Maybe Lloyd can figure it out and let me know if I did something wrong.

12. Bob Beaupre

Got it to open. Needs three species that are not included in the normal set

Attached them here

Jatoba2.jpg Wenge2.jpg khaya.jpg

Save all three and add to you species

13. Brent Dalrymple

Good for you for figuring that out, Bob. I've attached a shot of the palate I used for that bowl.

I'd call that a bug and it is going to cause problems in sharing bowl designs because the standard palate is missing a number of species. Maybe it can be fixed so that the plan file includes the actual palate used, or at least substitutes a "blank" that the user can fill in. But whatever, the file should open even if the palate used includes species not in the standard palate.

Attached Files:

14. Bob Beaupre

After trying to load your file and crashing. I reopened the program and went to palettes. It had the names of your species but three were blank as far as the pictures go. So I then knew what ones to add to my species and then it loaded fine

15. Brent Dalrymple

So it did capture the palate, including the names of the missing species but not the pics (understandable), and preserved the palate in your copy of the program. Interesting. Therefore the crash was related to missing species. I hope that can be fixed.

16. Lloyd Johnson

Lloyd Johnson Administrator Staff Member

I just returned and saw your messages. I'll have to add some code so that a missing species will show the 'NotFound' species but won't crash if the species doesn't exist. The species files are not contained in the saved Plans, just the name of the species file to open.

Lloyd

17. Bob Beaupre

So we got it all figured out for you Lloyd. You get the easy part and get to do the code work :)

18. mfisher

good work. I have been in the wood shop all day. I downloaded the species you posted, downloaded the new forest file, and SP opened it like a charm

Thank you Bob, Brent, Lloyd. I have a fall project to do now.

19. Bob Beaupre

fall?? it's coming into spring

20. mfisher

Yep , in a month we leave the valley (Sun City West) and go up to Payson, AZ. for the summer. My shop is very limited in Payson. It is not set up to do the detailed work these high number segment bowls require. That is why I said in the fall. Sun City West has one of the best woodshops around.

In Payson is where I do most of my time playing with the software, coming up with what I want to do in the fall, learning more by searching web sites on woodturning.

Title: Sun City West Woodshop – Woodworking for life