Randy Toney

Open Segment Vessel variable gaps and lengths

Open Segment Vessel variable gaps and lengths
Randy Toney, Jan 21, 2020
Brett Niland and Bobsturnery like this.
    • Randy Toney
      First time posting.... so forgive me if I've done things in an awkward manner.

I have some experience with segmented and open-segmented vessels. My current interest is in an object with variable segment lengths and variable gaps between segments.
      See the photo above.
      I use WTP for all of my objects, and I think it is awesome. My wish is to use WTP for a vessel like the one in the photo.
      In short, the even rows have segments of identical lengths, but they are spaced with variable gaps. Instead of a 10-degree gap betwen each segment, I alternate between 5- and 15-degree gaps. I can accomplish this pretty easily with my index wheel. WTP correctly calculates my segment edge length and I adjust the gap as stated.
      The odd rows give me a little trouble. The segment lengths vary due to the 5- or 15-degree gap from the previous even row. They alternate between 15 and 25 degrees. But I cannot use the segment edge lengths from WTP because they assume all segments are the same degrees in width.
      If I can use WTP for this, great! Please help me understand how.
    • mfisher
      WOW. Very nice and unique. Good color contrast.
      Hopefully Lloyd will see this and comment. He would know if its possible to do within WTP.
      Only thing I could think of is make multiple copies of your wtp file.
      one for each of the different open segment degrees. That might not work.
    • Lloyd Johnson
      Here's one way to calculate the SEL of the 8 solid segments for each odd row.
      Given that there are 4 gaps of 15 degrees and 4 gaps of 5 degrees on each row,
      4 * 15 + 4 * 5 = 80 degrees.
      360 - 80 = 280 degrees of solid wood.
      280 / 8 solid segments = 35 degrees for each solid segment.
      The common denominator of 35, 15 and 5 is 5.
      360 / 5 = 72, therefore
      To calculate the SEL of the solid segments in the odd rings, draw them as 72-segment rows in WTP and the SEL of each solid segment is 7 times the SEL of one of the 72 segments.
      Easy, peasy.

Lloyd
      mfisher likes this.
    • Arlin Eastman
      Love the open segment on this but for me it would be a big pucker factor while turning it hoping it would not explode on me.

Me personally that is my favorite of segmenting and hope I can do it in the future. Well done
    • Randy Toney
      Thanks for the quick response, and [ahem] easy, peasy solution. I'll give it a try!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Open Segment Turnings
    Uploaded By:
    Randy Toney
    Date:
    Jan 21, 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    518.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4032px
    Height:
    3024px
    Aperture:
    f/1.7
    Make:
    samsung
    Model:
    SM-G950U
    Date / Time:
    2019:10:25 16:11:35
    Exposure Time:
    1/24 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    4.25 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).