• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

My Problem with 3D Design Pro Transfer

G

gaparrott

Hello,

I had downloaded and installed the WoodturnerPro, LaminationPro, and 3D DesignPro version 3 software and installed it. I could not get 3D DesignPro to transfer. The button is greyed out. I tried the suggestions about rebooting in the other thread. No help. Uninstalled, reinstalled, no help.

Finally I uninstalled the v3 and installed the v2.1. The transfer works on v2.1. is there a minimum software maintenance level or hardware level necessary for v3?

Thank you

George Parrott

BTW, If it helps I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate with SP2.

George

George,

Version 3 of the software should work just as well as v2.1 as it uses the same technique. I suspect it has something to do with permissions. I would try this - go back to Version 3 and then click Start > Programs > Woodturner PRO and then right-click both 3DP and WTP and with each, select 'Run as Administrator' and then try the transfer again.

You have to have both programs running because they need to find each other in the computer's active memory. If you have done this and the icon is still greyed out, call me at 503-seveneightone-5117 and I'll help you get it going. I've never found a situation where this wouldn't work and you won't be the first.

Lloyd

Lloyd,

Thanks for the response. Started WTP in Run as Admin. 3DP does not give that option. I should have admin rights on my user profile but???? Both Programs are running . Started WTP with admin then started 3dP (as noted couldn't start as admin). No transfer. 2.1 fine, 3, no go.

Will try to find time to call but don't know when it will be. Thanks for your help.

George

George,

There is only one thing left to try and that is working with Compatibility modes. Since Windows Vista has not been supported since 2012, I'm not sure if the screens will be the same, but they should be close.

First, re-install V3 and then click Start > Programs > Woodturner PRO and then right-click Woodturner PRO. From the context menu, select 'Troubleshoot Compatibility'. When the process ends, select 'Troubleshoot program'. Select the first item from the list and then select Windows Vista as the compatibility to try.

Repeat this for 3DP and then try the transfer again. If this doesn't fix it, repeat the process with Windows XP for both programs.

If none of this works, I'm afraid I'll be unable to help you as I have no way to modify the software to target a retired operating system, nor would I be able to test it.

Lloyd

Lloyd,

Thanks for taking the time to try to help. I tried re-installing v3 on vista and tried it with all compatibility modes back to Win 98 with no luck. Curiously I also tried installing it on my wife's windows 8 machine and had the same issues. Also tried all the compatibility modes on that one. Very curious but doesn't help fix it. Are there any issues that you know of with Norton 360 and the programs. That is the only other thing I can think of.

In any case I will continue playing with it on and off until it expires. I will also give laminate pro a thorough evaluation, as I see a lot of potential for quick modeling in it.

Thanks again.

George

George,

Since this part of the software hasn't been touched in several years and has worked great all this time, I was sure it was an issue with Windows Vista since it has always been a real bugger with programmers. When you said that the same thing was happening on a different computer, I looked into it more deeply and found that I could recreate the problem, although I'm not sure why. I am trying to find what could cause it to work differently and this may take awhile since inter-process communications is a very tricky subject.

Anyway, I've replaced the installer on the Downloads page with the prior version of the code which I cannot reproduce this problem. Since it is an earlier version than the V3 you have installed, you must remove it first through your Control Panel and then install the .009 version that is there now.

I'm sorry for making sending you on a fishing expedition when you could have been out in your shop. I honestly can't understand what caused this. It is not the first time I haven't understood something with computers and programming. In fact, it isn't the first time in the past 15 minutes.

I was 6'4" when I started programming. I'm now 5'5", if that tells you anything.
Lloyd

Lloyd,

You've found the problem, if not an understanding of why it is happening. The interface now works on my vista, and even on a Linux partintion under wine, which makes me happy as I find myself spending more time on Linux than on windows.

I spent 45 years in IT, mostly as pretty good techie, and I know the feeling about "what is going on".

Thanks again. I can get a good eval now.

George

Back