• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Economy board length problem

TomD

PRO Member
I wanted to make a stave bowl, after entering the dimensions for a 24 stave bowl, the edge length comes up 1.45". Now 1.45 times 24 comes to somewhere near 40", however the economy board says I need 110" board. What am I missing ?

Hi Tom,

You've asked a very good question and it leads to a general discussion between the similarities and differences of the two Ring Types - Compound Segments and Staves. In a way, they are very similar. In fact, you can make the identical ring from either a compound or a stave, but the way you get there is VERY different.

Generally speaking, a compound segment is made by cross-cutting a board with a tilted blade and flipping the board edge-to-edge after each cut, just as you would do with flat segments. A stave, though, is made from first cutting a long board into short sections and then cutting angles on the parallel edges. A stave barrel, for example, starts with long strips of wood and the angles are cut with a tilted blade along the length of the board and if the stave is a compound stave, the angled cuts will albo be cut at an angle instead of being parallel.

One of the obvious differences is that the grain will run around the ring if made as a compound segment and vertical if made as a stave.

Since you have described a Stave ring, the length of wood you need is based on the height of the ring. The width of the board will be just wide enough for the segment edge length.

So when should you use a Compound or a Stave if grain orientation is not your deciding factor? The answer may be in how the dimensions are calculated. Basically, there are four fields that are used in the calculations: Upper Outside Diameter, Lower Outside Diameter, Height of the row and Slope. In both types, you specify the upper and lower outside diameters and in the case of a compound segment, you specify the slope and the software solves for the height. In the case of a stave, you specify the height and the software solves for the slope.

So if the slope needs to be 40 degrees (for example), use the Compound ring type where you can fix the slope at 40 degrees and the height will be whatever is necessary for the outside diameters to be correct at 40 degrees. If it is important that the height of the ring be a particular amount, use the Stave ring type as you specify the height and the slope will be whatever is necessary to make the outside diameters correct based on the height of the ring. I nearly always use the Compound ring type as I usually am after a particular slope of the wall profile. If I'm making a tall vessel where the slope is going to be something close to vertical and the grain should be vertical, I'll use the Stave ring type.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if anything needs clarification, though.
Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd, I understand now, tried it using the compound ring and the board length came out perfect.

Back