• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Losing design

Alan

When I am using WP and use the paint tab to change the wood species of my rings, it works as it should.
But then when I go back to "view the bowl", it doesn't make the changes to the bowl.
Also, the spacers I added between segments are not in the summery view. Although when I go to bowl view there they are.
It doesn't list the material or the dimensions to cut them either.
Some help would be great!
Thank you.
Alan

Hi Alan:
Question: What is your Bowl settings?
That is in SP you need to have Painted Segment selected. (if you have featured or tornado selected it will not show what you painted in the paint window).

Question: Again what is your bowl setting?. Spacers only work with the Featured Ring selection.
spacers will not show up on the summary sheet.
SP will adjust the SEL based on the spacer width that you entered in the bowl setting windows.
As far as the dimension of the spacer it is the width you entered, width of the ring stock board and the thickness of the ring stock .

WoodTurner Pro gives you full control on where spacers can go. Segment Pro is rules based on general design principles for segmented vessels. SP limits how much variation you can do.

I had it set on segmented bowl. And after going in and changing the bowl setting, I found the error of my ways.
And as I laid there trying to go to sleep last night, it dawned on me that the spacers would not show up on the summary sheet, as you mentioned. They are the dimensions I tell the SP program, and the SEL and width would be based on the segments next to the spacer.
A little slow at times, but I've got it now.
Is it not possible in WTP to add a feature ring?
Thank you for your help.
Alan

I had it set on segmented bowl. And after going in and changing the bowl setting, I found the error of my ways.
And as I laid there trying to go to sleep last night, it dawned on me that the spacers would not show up on the summary sheet, as you mentioned. They are the dimensions I tell the SP program, and the SEL and width would be based on the segments next to the spacer.
A little slow at times, but I've got it now.
Is it not possible in WTP to add a feature ring?
Thank you for your help.
Alan
Yes, you can do a featured ring in WTP. In WTP it is just another ring.

WTP is a great program and gives you basically full control of each ring.
SP automates a lot of the procedures for you. Lloyd set up in SP the three basic bowls painted, featured and tornado.

Yes, you can do a featured ring in WTP. In WTP it is just another ring.

WTP is a great program and gives you basically full control of each ring.
SP automates a lot of the procedures for you. Lloyd set up in SP the three basic bowls painted, featured and tornado.
I added a ring in my WTP design. I have the thickness set to what I want, 1.5".
Now how to do I get the ring that I added to display my feature ring?
Under the species tab, there are a bunch of species, just not the feature ring that I would like to display.
I don't see the vertical spacers in my vessel with WTP like I see in SP.

I also noticed that the exterior dimensions are larger than my interior dimension by close to an inch even though my wall thickness is set to .375". I know they'll be different, but why does it show almost an inch bigger? Is that the dimension before turning?

Opening up a .json file. I can save it, but then can't find it in SP.
It seems as though I am bouncing around programs and not accomplishing anything except frustration.
I step away, then get nothing done. I guess the ole grey matter doesn't work like it used too, but I am trying.

Thank you so much for your help.

I added a ring in my WTP design. I have the thickness set to what I want, 1.5".
Now how to do I get the ring that I added to display my feature ring?
Wood species are in WTP / SP are bitmap/jpeg (graphic images), In WTP
Go to File / Options, within the pop up window select New Species.
In the New Species window Give the new graphic a name, select bitmap, in the path window click on the three dots.
A file directory window will pop up, navigate to where your image is stored and select it.
Leave the width and height to 1 inch and check the stretch to fit segment.
Last, click ok

The new species should be added to your WTP species list.
Under the species tab, there are a bunch of species, just not the feature ring that I would like to display.
You need to bring in your new species You may need to close and restart WTP. the species list is generated each time the program opens.
I don't see the vertical spacers in my vessel with WTP like I see in SP.
In WTP you need to select the ring you want the spacers in. It is not automated like SP.
You also need to set the spacers width, left side window and the species you want, right side window.

I also noticed that the exterior dimensions are larger than my interior dimension by close to an inch even though my wall thickness is set to .375". I know they'll be different, but why does it show almost an inch bigger? Is that the dimension before turning?
Which program are you talking about WTP or SP? It would be helpful if you attached the wTP file so I can take a look at it.
Opening up a .json file. I can save it, but then can't find it in SP.
There are two types of saves in SP. Profile or Plan. Are you sure you saved the Plan. (in Bowl Settings, use the save plan button.
In SP when saving you will be given the option to overwrite the plan. If you select yes, it makes a new plan, If you say no it just saves the plan by its original name.
It seems as though I am bouncing around programs and not accomplishing anything except frustration.
I step away, then get nothing done. I guess the ole grey matter doesn't work like it used too, but I am trying.
If you have not watched the videos, please do so. I have watched them a number of times over the years.
One thing to keep in mind for WTP. Some of the vids were made based on earlier versions and may contain options that are no longer available in the current program (grid view is one example).
Thank you so much for your help.
Your welcome.
By asking questions we all get to learn more about the program.

Thank you very much for the replies to each question separately. I'll have study class in the morning.
I attached the file. Hopefully it will open as it is a .wtp. If not, let me know.
The 2 double rows in the middle are where I am trying to put a feature ring as well.
Thank you again!

Attachments

• Walnut_Ash Bowl.wtp
    6.3 KB · Views: 8
Thanks Alan:
The WTP file is a big help. Nice bowl design.

When I first opened it, I noticed the spacers species is set as walnut and the spacer size was 0.

As an example I saved your file as Walnut Ash modify
- I changed the species for the spacers to maple and set a size of 0.125 for you to see what needs to be changed to have spacers.
I only added them to the featured ring (row 7).

Attached it the Walnut Ash modify wtp file. I also attached the species SW 3 used in the featured ring. You will need to add it to your species list
in WTP as explained in an earlier post.

Attachments

• Walnut_Ash Bowl modify.wtp
    127 KB · Views: 5
  • sw 3.jpg
    sw 3.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
I must have been screen blind as I saw the species for the spacers but didn't see the spacer thickness until this morning.
I have watched the videos several times, but sometimes it takes a while for it to sink in. I think that I am making progress though.

Attached is the .json file I meant to send yesterday. Same bowls, only different. :)
I'll use WTP for my bowl. Picture attached.
But out of failure to understand completely, in SP, why is the "Bowl View" different than the bowl in "Paint View"?

Off to the table saw I go.

Thank you again!!

Attachments

• 2024-3-27-16-13-15.json
    63.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Walnut_Ash Bowl W_Accent.wtp
    11.2 KB · Views: 3
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
I must have been screen blind as I saw the species for the spacers but didn't see the spacer thickness until this morning.
I have watched the videos several times, but sometimes it takes a while for it to sink in. I think that I am making progress though.
me too. After many years I am still learning things about the software. Especially SP
Attached is the .json file I meant to send yesterday. Same bowls, only different. :)
I'll use WTP for my bowl. Picture attached.
But out of failure to understand completely, in SP, why is the "Bowl View" different than the bowl in "Paint View"?
When I imported your SP file I noticed it was set on featured ring. To see what design you painted you need to make sure Painted Segment in the bowl setting is selected.
What you paint in SP will not show if Featured Ring or Tornado Bowl is selected.

Off to the table saw I go.

Thank you again!!
Very nice WTP bowl design. Looks very nice.

Back