• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

New to segmenting.

sussenwood

Hello. Glad to be able to join the forums here and learn from experienced craftsmen.
I have been turni g since 2017. I have never done any segmented work.
I have my wedgie sled and wedges.

I underatand how to use the woodturner pro softwaretprograms.
Can someone with experience please exlpain all the math to me?
I have never been great woth math. I am having a hard time underatanding what size to cut my pieces for the segments per layer. I know this is considered pretty rudimentary, but I juat dont understand it.
Can someone please help me with underatanding this?

Thank you!

The great thing about the software WoodTurner Pro or Segment Pro is that it does the math for you.

You said you understand how to use WTP. You bring in a profile from 3D design into WTP. From that you can build your vessel. How thick the rings are is up to you. Same for wall thickness, number of segments. That is up to you to decide.
Segment Pro provides some prebuilt profiles and does a lot more of the process for you. You input bowl height, number of segments, choose a profile and the 3D image is done.
Each program provides a cut list.

Take a look at the help section of WTP. It covers some of the concepts.

Some very basic math is
Some Math Basics
The circumference of a circle is the Diameter x Pi (3.1416)
  • Circumference divided by number of segments equals segment length.
  • Segment Angle = 360 / number of segments / 2 (because the angle is cut on each end). A simpler way to say it is Segment Angle = 180 / number of segments.
Segment Length equals (diameter * 3.1416 / number of segments)
Segment Width (width of material to allow shaping of the ring, 125 to .25 fudge factor
Segment Thickness (how tall the ring) depends on your design.

If you want more information on formula's ect, we can go into it in more detail.

1710727485768.png

Here is examples of the same profile bowl with different configuration of the segments

1. 12 segments per ring 0.75 thickness, base 05 inches.
Screenshot 2024-03-17 191414.png
2. 12 segments per ring 0.25 inch thick , base 05
Screenshot 2024-03-17 191505.png
3. 48 segments per ring, 0.25 inch thick, base 05
Screenshot 2024-03-17 191655.png
The thinner the rings the more you need to make the vessel height. The more segments per ring allows for more detailed patterns.

Back