• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Hello, new to segment turning

It.All.Fits

PRO Member
My name is Tom Kilbride, I live in central Florida. I hadn’t used a lathe since high school (in the 60’s) and finally purchased a 10” lathe last Christmas (a present to myself) I’ve since made 37 bowls from both plain and glued up boards using a method from “ThePapa1947” and that’s where I found Woodturner Pro. I purchased the full program and am anxious to start my first segmented bowl… I’ve been a woodworker since childhood and my home shop is my mancave, my wife always knows where I am. I would love to find a place on the web for learning the woodturner Pro, maybe tutorials?

Hi Tom:
Welcome to WTP.
Lloyd has a tutorial section for his software on this website. There are some others who have videos on how to use Lloyd's software.

Ask your questions and someone will try to help you out. WTP gives you full control of each ring. SP is more rules based and limits what you can do with individual rings. It has a great paint program for designs.

Have fun turning.

OK I admit I am slow at times but bought the package and damn if I can figure where to go.
I have been an armature woodturner to several years and now expanding my horizons but very frustrated.
I tried tutorials and became frustrated...
Any help and direction will be greatly appreciated
Mike Nelson, Hawaii

Hi Nelco.
- Is there woodturning (wood) club near you that you could join?

If you are frustrated with the software please post our specific question. Someone will try and help you through.
Contract Lloyd. He offers one on one training via the internet.

I would also just do a search. There is lot's of great instruction and videos on the net.

Hi Nelco.
- Is there woodturning (wood) club near you that you could join?

If you are frustrated with the software please post our specific question. Someone will try and help you through.
Contract Lloyd. He offers one on one training via the internet.

I would also just do a search. There is lot's of great instruction and videos on the net.

Hi Tom:
Welcome to WTP.
Lloyd has a tutorial section for his software on this website. There are some others who have videos on how to use Lloyd's software.

Ask your questions and someone will try to help you out. WTP gives you full control of each ring. SP is more rules based and limits what you can do with individual rings. It has a great paint program for designs.

Have fun turning.

Aloha All!
I truly appreciate our turners family in Hawaii.
I am just looking for a simple answer, formula, etc to lay out the segments.
I have been a turner for a couple of years and exploring segmented turning.
FIRST OF ALL is there a formula for the number or segments/angles, etc for a bowl configuration??
I seem to have missed that year in school.
Your Aloha is appreciated directing me "where to go"
Mike Nelson

Aloha All!
I truly appreciate our turners family in Hawaii.
I am just looking for a simple answer, formula, etc to lay out the segments.
I have been a turner for a couple of years and exploring segmented turning.
FIRST OF ALL is there a formula for the number or segments/angles, etc for a bowl configuration??
- The number of segments per ring is up to the you. (8,12,16,32,48,etc)
- The greater the number of segments the more detailed a pattern can be created.
- As far as formulas, one reason I use the software. It does the math for you.

Miter Angle for segments: 360 / number of segments / 2 = miter angle or more simply 180 / number of segments

Determining the segment edge length for the segments can be as simple as:
SEL = Pi * dia.) / number of segments. For most woodworkers that is close enough.
or more accurate
SP/WTP uses the true trig formula of SEL = tan(miter angle) * radius * 2

I seem to have missed that year in school.
Your Aloha is appreciated directing me "where to go"
There are many good websites that outline the process for designing and building a segment vessel. Just do a search.
Books by Malcolm Tibbetts, Ray Allen are good sources.

Mike Nelson

Back