• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Hello all

Kevin Buchanan

PRO Member
I live in the small town of Whangarei in the north island of New Zealand. Been turning for 5 years and this year have become very interested in segmented turning, especially open segments. After scratching around on graph paper trying to design a decent piece I was very pleased to find Segment Pro to help me along. I especially like the 3D template style of the program and being able to participate in a forum of like minded turners. I look forward to what is to come.

Welcome aboard Kevin.

I found years ago Lloyd's software and gave up graph paper. The programs make it so easy to make changes to a design. Segment turning opens the door to creativity. Some things to keep in mind.

- SP is a great for designing a segment vessel that follows basic design rules. The program does a lot of the design work for you. It has a great paint feature for designing patterns.
- WoodTurner Pro is Lloyd's first design program. One of the main things with WTP is it gives you complete control over each ring. It works with 3dDesign Pro.

I use both programs depending on the vessel I want to build and turn. Tak a look at the tutorial videos Lloyd has made. They help a lot in learning the software. Keep in mind that some of the older vids may have features that are not in the current version of the software (wtp).

Happy Turning.

Hi, thanks, I actually subscribe to Earls' channel, he is a bit of a character and knows his segmenting and all from experience.
Jim Rogers is another I have learnt from. I have built a couple of open segment pieces but was getting bogged down with the design side.
Previously I had found Blocklayer.com to be excellent for calculating the segments, which really allowed me to progress, but now I have had a couple of days with Seg Pro, it's just what I needed (especially the painting of the segment pattern).
I actually use Earls' index wheel and glue jig (slow); my next mission is to reduce the time it takes to do them (Seg Easy and stomper I suspect).
Below is the latest bowl I have made and it took me a looooong time to do!! Cheers

Attachments

• 20231103_131921-Resized.jpg
    20231103_131921-Resized.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20231103_131834-resized.jpg
    20231103_131834-resized.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
PS; Just a note re the above post; the bowl shown was one I saw on Pinterest and I deconstructed it on graph paper, chose a profile and calced the segments with the segment calculator on Blocklayer.com just to see if I could do it. It was a great learning experience and now I will look to design my own. Cheers

Very nice vessel Kevin. I agree Earl is character. I love Youtube 'university' I have about 30 subscriptions. Have you tried using Wood Turner Pro instead of segment pro. You have more control of the rings. Also get Earls cheat sheets for ring calculations.

Back