• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Trying to solve the conundrum of ring size vs segment size

Third_Son

PRO Member
Just a quick question to ask why in the generated plan below row rows 6 and 7 show the same segment edge length even though row 7 is clearly larger? Am I doing something wrong? I caught the error in time and made row 7 larger since I wanted the edge to flair out.

Raman.jpg

Do you have your File / Options / Numeric display set to "nearest 1/16th"? I suspect you do based on your summary sheet. The software is rounding the numbers to the nearest 1/16th. Change your Numberic display option to show a difference.

When I recreated your vessel in WTP and changed the display option to nearest 1/32 it shows a difference between row 6 and row 7
Row 6 SEL is 25/32
Row 7 SEL is 27/32.

I like to use empirical decimal inch and a digital caliper for measurements. Here is your vessel summary sheet using imperial decimal inch.

1697410219765.png

Last edited:
Do you have your File / Options / Numeric display set to "nearest 1/16th"? I suspect you do based on your summary sheet. The software is rounding the numbers to the nearest 1/16th. Change your Numberic display option to show a difference.

When I recreated your vessel in WTP and changed the display option to nearest 1/32 it shows a difference between row 6 and row 7
Row 6 SEL is 25/32
Row 7 SEL is 27/32.

I like to use empirical decimal inch and a digital caliper for measurements. Here is your vessel summary sheet using imperial decimal inch.

View attachment 5031
That was it! Thanks Mike...I was a chemist for 38 years. Decimal inches have no appeal to me :) I guess it shows I have to pay better attention to my output.

That was it! Thanks Mike...I was a chemist for 38 years. Decimal inches have no appeal to me :) I guess it shows I have to pay better attention to my output.
There is the metric option. :)
Over time I just found fractions to be a pain in the rear. One reason I went with the decimal.
I also tend to over build still. That is if I want a 6 inch ring I make it 6.125 or 6.25 and turn down to 6 inches.

Enjoy the planning and turning.

There is the metric option. :)
Over time I just found fractions to be a pain in the rear. One reason I went with the decimal.
I also tend to over build still. That is if I want a 6 inch ring I make it 6.125 or 6.25 and turn down to 6 inches.

Enjoy the planning and turning.
I stopped overbuilding my blanks. I find it more fun to get as close as I can to the final form. I save a lot of valuable timber that way.

Back