• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Varying species of vertical species in WTP

JackFreed

PRO Member
I'll start by saying I'm working on a mac, so if this doesn't happen in Windows... oh well.

I would like to change the species of the vertical spacers on a couple of rows in my model, but when I change them, the change is global. Is it possible to vary the species of vertical spacers by row?

Thanks,
Jack

Jack:
WTP does not support multiple species for spacers. Neither does SP.
A work around is to make a new species which contains the wood spacer you want.
By creating and using the new species you can paint individual segments in a ring or alternate between rings.

Ihe image is a quick example of what the new species looks like in WTP

spacer image.jpg

Do a PrntSc and paste the capture in a graphic program. Crop the image and save. Do the same with walnut as the spacer. Add the two species to WTP. In this above example ring 2 and 4 were selected and the rings species changed to bloodwood S and ring 3 to walnut S.
Top Ring was alternative walnut spacer and bloodwood spacer from the species list.
bloodwood spacer.jpg walnut spacer.jpg

At least that is the approach I use in WTP for wanting different spacer species. It is for the visual view in WTP.

Last edited:
How do I “make a new species”?

It is pretty easy to add species in WTP. You can:

Woodturner PRO allows you to add your own custom species as you have found by clicking File > Options > Custom Species. Click the Path box and brows you any image file, regardless of size, and simply give it a name and this will be permanently added to the drop-down species list. The list is generated by the software at run-time and so the list itself is not editable.

- When a wood species is not in the WTP species list you can use any image file saved from the internet or software. I have used images from woodworkers source for wood species not in the WTP list.

- You can create your own as described in post 2.
create a "species", save it to a location on your pc,
In WTP go to File/options Custom species, click the path box and browse to the location of the graphic image, click o.

You may need to restart WTP for the file to show up in the drop down species menu.

Success! Thanks for your help.
Nice job.

One thing I noticed is it looks like the walnut ring with the cherry spacer has the walnut spacer also (thin verticle line) It also looks like the brick pattern is off just a bit.

Basically I made a ring with the walnut ring with cherry spacer and clipped one individual segment with the cherry spacer and saved the image.
Then I did the same by changing the wood species to cherry and the spacer to walnut and cut and saved.

Remember to print out the summary sheet before using the new created species that contains the spacers. the SEL will not be correct on the one you use the new species.

note it the example below the brick pattern aligns.

1691385912889.png

Attachments

• cherry walnut spacer.jpg
    cherry walnut spacer.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 2
  • walnut cherry spacer.jpg
    walnut cherry spacer.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Thanks. I saw that. I edited that ring multiple times so I think it is contaminated. I am going to deleted it and add a new ring to start fresh.

My Walnut Cherry Spacer ring no longer has the black lines but is off to the left a tad. This should have no impact on the bowl itself. I think this is because the spacer is part of the segment. Thanks for the help and the tip on using the segment length based on the file without the "fake" ring.

Attachments

• Salad Bowl - Spacers.jpg
    Salad Bowl - Spacers.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 2
WTP is an amazing tool for segment design. It was Lloyd's first and has been around many years.
It does have some limits like any software.

You have the plans of a nice looking vessel. Enjoy the biuld and turning.

I have used the software in the past but have not done any segmented turning in some time. I just made this salad bowl in all cherry for a friend and I am making a second for another friend and wanted to add just a bit of flair for interest. The software takes the guesswork out for me since it does all the calculations for me. I am a better at turning than at math!

Back