• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Question about this turning I made.

PaulHigg

PRO Member
Hello, since I've been learning Segment Pro I've noticed something about my hot air balloons I turn. I'm posting a photo to show. When I cut all these segments and glued them all up they were all the same S.E.L yet notice the ones on the bottom row. They look narrower. Is this because the balloon is narrower on the bottom? Is this what SP does, eliminates this problem by making the finished product have all the same width pieces? Thanks for any help.

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_5204.JPG
    IMG_5204.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
I would say you are correct in that the bottom ring is a smaller diameter than the upper rings. Segments are tapered.:)
When you turn away material SEL will decrease because the diameter of the circle is getting smaller.

Here is a screen shot of a vase. Not the width of the material is not the same from row to row.

It would be helpful to attach your project json file. It allows the responder to see you plan and can better answer your question

1626366046583.png

I would say you are correct in that the bottom ring is a smaller diameter than the upper rings. Segments are tapered.:)
When you turn away material SEL will decrease because the diameter of the circle is getting smaller.

Here is a screen shot of a vase. Not the width of the material is not the same from row to row.

It would be helpful to attach your project json file. It allows the responder to see you plan and can better answer your question

View attachment 4443
Thank you for this. I didn't attach a file because that wasn't created from a file. In fact. I have yet to turn anything from a file yet, I still don't understand Lloyd's spreadsheet fields and how to figure out what to cut first. I don't use his chop saw jig, I like Jerry Bennett's wedgie sled.

Thank you for this. I didn't attach a file because that wasn't created from a file. In fact. I have yet to turn anything from a file yet, I still don't understand Lloyd's spreadsheet fields and how to figure out what to cut first. I don't use his chop saw jig, I like Jerry Bennett's wedgie sled.
A lot of us use Bennett's wedgie sled. The sled is easy to make.

I attached a quick simple summary sheet from SP. Going from left to right.
Row - same as ring. 1 is always the base
Width - how wide the board stock needs to be to cut the segments
Length - how long of a board you need to have enough material to cut segments
Ring SEL- Segment Edge length for that ring
Ring Type - closed, open, disk, etc.
Ring Species- type of wood
Ring Seg- number of segments for that ring
Ring Thick- height (thickness) of the stock
Ring Angle- miter angle to be used to cut the segments
Diameter Outer - Outside diameter of the segmented ring
Diameter Inner - Inner diameter of the segmented ring
Species - wood species (other species will show up if you paint your with a pattern
Species Length how much material you need to cut the segments.

I bet you do something similar to what I do
- prep the stock
- cut stock to the length and width needed to cut segments.
- cut segments.

Attachments

• summary sheet.jpg
    summary sheet.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 7
Thank you. That's very helpful and I appreciate it. And yes, this is exactly how I do it with the wedgie sled.

Back