• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

D

Daniel Shuflin

Hello all. I am new to this site and segment turning. I am in SW Washington and just recently have started turning. I have researched this question and cannot find an answer. When cutting your segments the outside segment length is supposed to be 2.775". Does your piece of wood supposed to be ripped to this size before you start. Then leave your fence set at this width to cut your segments. Thanks I am sure you will be hearing more from me in the future. Looks like I posted this in the wrong forum, sorry about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Daniel.
Good question. Due to post limits I will try to answer your question in two posts. In building a segment vessel you need to be thinking about how thick you want each ring, how wide (width) you need the segment to be to allow for ample glue surface and material for shaping the vessel and the segment edge length. The segment edge lenght is determined by the diameter of the ring and the number of segments you want in the ring.

Segment Length equals (diameter * 3.1416 / number of segments)
Segment Width (width of material to allow shaping of the ring, 125 to .25 fudge factor
Segment Thickness (how tall the ring) depends on your design.

So if you wanted a 12 segment ring that is 10" in diameter the segment edge length would be
3.1416 * 10 / 12 = 2.618. You would set your miter angle to 15 degrees. (180/ number of segments) 180/12=15
A stop block would be used to set the SEL needed. It is measured from the blade to the stop position at the miter angle.

segment.jpgI would suggest looking at some vids on cutting segments.

Last edited:
Here is a cutaway view of a segment vessel done in WTP. You can see that the more curve the wider the board needs to be. the thickness of the board will determine how many rings it will take to make the vessel height. This happens to be 0.125" thick rings.

1591764095087.png

Back