Cherry burl with bark inclusion

Discussion in 'Non-Segmented Turnings Forum' started by Frank Smith, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Frank Smith

Frank Smith Member

I just finished this up yesterday. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

IMG_5389.jpeg IMG_5390.jpeg

2. mfisher

mfisher Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice.
    What did you finish it with?

3. Frank Smith

Frank Smith Member

Thank you sir! I rubbed a coat of BLO on it, let it dry really good and then about ten coats of lacquer. I would have preferred to use a satin finish but my wife loves a glossy finish.

4. Bob Beaupre

Bob Beaupre Administrator Staff Member

Nice job

Frank Smith likes this.
  5. Frank Smith

Frank Smith Member

Thanks Bob!

6. Arlin Eastman

Arlin Eastman Member

Wonderful job Frank I really really like it a lot. Where do you get your burl anyway? We have had some for pen blanks but that is all.

7. Frank Smith

Frank Smith Member

Thanks Arlin. I get most of my burl from a guy on facebook. His account is Magic Under the Bark. Check him out he has some really good prices. It's mostly Cherry and Maple burl.

8. Arlin Eastman

Arlin Eastman Member

Well that option is out since I do not have a facebook account. My wife tried to show me and it is hard enough figuring this site an woodnet out. After she seen my absolute confussion she told me NOT to get an account.

9. Frank Smith

Frank Smith Member

Well, let's just solve that problem. Tell me what you're interested in and I'll look for you.

10. Arlin Eastman

Arlin Eastman Member

Frank

I do not know what we need since we have never done one before???? Maybe something of a bowl or vase size I guess. I also could use a ton of advise since I seen a lot of them done but do not know the trouble areas to look for. On a pen we just put some CA glue and poof it was good to go. lol

11. Frank Smith

Frank Smith Member

That's the interesting thing about a burl, you never know what you're going to encounter as you turn it. I'l see if I can find you a good one and I'll let you know.

12. Arlin Eastman

Arlin Eastman Member

Thanks Frank. Let me know how much and I will see what she can scrape together.
    I do not have an allowance for the next 18 months due to it going to help pay for the new Air Con and Furnace of which we did not have last year.

13. Frank Smith

Frank Smith Member

Don't worry about the cost Arlin. I'll find one that I like and the cost will be on me. I appreciate you helping the vets and want to help in any way that I can.

14. Arlin Eastman

Arlin Eastman Member

Frank

Does this person have an email address you can PM me with? A few things we can never get is Cherry and Maple and burls and wondering if this person will work with us to supply us at a modest price?

Thanks

15. Frank Smith

Frank Smith Member

Arlin,
    I just sent him a PM on Facebook asking for his email address. I'l forward it to you when I get it. His stuff is priced very reasonable.

16. Arlin Eastman

Arlin Eastman Member

Thanks Buddy

17. Arlin Eastman

Arlin Eastman Member

Frank

Can you PM me with that info and not put it out in the public. Lot of people do not like spam. Then you can delete this.

18. Frank Smith

Frank Smith Member

Sure. This guy likes all of the publicity he can get so I thought others on here might want to contact him but I'll remove it just in case.

19. Arlin Eastman

Arlin Eastman Member

It is OK with me if he wants it there I just thought of his security.