1. Congratulations to Roger Meyer - the winner of the drawing for Handmade Christmas 2017! Your #2 Hunter Osprey is on its way. Thanks to all for entering. Another contest will be held soon.

Stone Inlay on Bowl

Discussion in 'Non-Segmented Turnings Forum' started by MidwestMan, Jan 21, 2018.

1. MidwestMan

MidwestMan New Member

These days, I like making bowls. Also... personally, I like seeing the pith in the bowl.. or on rim... cracks and all don't bother me... I like it... the way I see, it gives the bowl character.

However, I had a nice hunk of pear wood, that was cracking badly near the rim... so, I optioned to inlay crushed stone, in the part that had "key" cracking. I didn't take a photo beforehand, I wish I had now, because perhaps someone else can learn something from this posting.

At any rate, over at "Michaels", you can buy 28 ounces of crushed stone for 4 bucks. Or, of course, you can spend 11 or 12 bucks and buy 1.1 ounces of "Turners Select Crushed Stone Magnesite" at Craft Supplies. However, I did need to use the carbide cutter to turn down the stone from Michaels.

Here is the result. The first photo is closer to the actual color. 9½ rim x 4 3/4 Height.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mfisher

mfisher Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice accent.

3. MidwestMan

MidwestMan New Member

Thanks !

4. Bob Beaupre

Bob Beaupre Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice touch, I like it.

MidwestMan likes this.