• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Varied Size Segments In Row

Dale Ford

PRO Member
Is it possible to have segments of more than one size in a row? For example, a 12 segment row with six segments at one inch and six segments at 1/2 inch?

Hi Dale.
My first thoughts were to say no. Neither WTP or SP allows for different segment edge length within the same row.
(12 segment ring with 6 segments with SEL of 1 inch and 6 segments with SEL of 1/2 inch).
Then I thought the 1/2 inch segment could be considered a vertical spacer.
I would use WTP instead of SP for the design. WTP gives you more control over each ring.

In your example of 12 segments with 6 1" SEL and 6 1/2" SEL would result in a ring approximately 7.5 inch diamter.

In WTP set the vertical spacer to 1/2 inch and adjust the diameter of the ring so the SEL reads 1.5". WTP treats the spacer plus ring segment as one block with calculating sel.

Can you imagine how much user interface it would take to do that? It makes my teeth itch just thinking about it.

However, in Woodturner PRO you can do something that would look like you describe:
Add a row and change the Type to wheel.
make the number of segments 6 with an outside diameter of 8”
Change the width of the spoke to 1”
Click on the Ring View to see your result.

In the wheel type, the spoke is a rectangular segment and one spoke is glued to each regular segment. As you change the width of the spoke, it will change the Segment Edge Length of the regular segment.

The downside is that not all of your joints will point to the center as they do with standard closed-segment rings. When the wall profile changes, some of the joints will appear to be curved. Many will marvel at your ingenuity wondering how you made curved joints.
Lloyd

Hi Dale.
My first thoughts were to say no. Neither WTP or SP allows for different segment edge length within the same row.
(12 segment ring with 6 segments with SEL of 1 inch and 6 segments with SEL of 1/2 inch).
Then I thought the 1/2 inch segment could be considered a vertical spacer.
I would use WTP instead of SP for the design. WTP gives you more control over each ring.

In your example of 12 segments with 6 1" SEL and 6 1/2" SEL would result in a ring approximately 7.5 inch diamter.

In WTP set the vertical spacer to 1/2 inch and adjust the diameter of the ring so the SEL reads 1.5". WTP treats the spacer plus ring segment as one block with calculating sel.
Thank you!

Can you imagine how much user interface it would take to do that? It makes my teeth itch just thinking about it.

However, in Woodturner PRO you can do something that would look like you describe:
Add a row and change the Type to wheel.
make the number of segments 6 with an outside diameter of 8”
Change the width of the spoke to 1”
Click on the Ring View to see your result.

In the wheel type, the spoke is a rectangular segment and one spoke is glued to each regular segment. As you change the width of the spoke, it will change the Segment Edge Length of the regular segment.

The downside is that not all of your joints will point to the center as they do with standard closed-segment rings. When the wall profile changes, some of the joints will appear to be curved. Many will marvel at your ingenuity wondering how you made curved joints.
Lloyd
Thank you!

Back