• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.
Thunderbird Bowl
H

Thunderbird Bowl

• httpme
I wanted to test the limits of the Segment Stomper with closed rings so I made this bowl with an outside diameter of 11-1/4", the maximum ring size that will fit within the Longworth Centering Attachment.

The feature ring is a 3rd generation design and it is included as a sample when Lamination PRO is installed. I've used this design in five different projects but this is the first time I used it in a segmented bowl. The woods are maple, walnut, bloodwood and Madagascar rosewood.

The Segment Stomper is obviously not a precision instrument due to the fact that the stomper itself is plastic, but as you can see, it worked fine and there was zero slipping of disks during gluing.

Comments welcome.

Photo credit to Sharon Bierman
Beautiful work. What was the design sample you used for the feature ring. You mentioned that it is included in Laminator Pro. Thanks in advance for any info on the feature ring and tricks you used to get it so perfect!

H
Ed,
If you click on the 'My Lamination PRO' folder in your Documents folder, you'll see a folder named 'Samples'. In that folder, you'll find a file named Bird Design.lam. This sample has the same angles, but is larger than the one I used in the feature ring. One thing to note in this design, the repeating unit actually has two birds in it and they face horizontally. I glued them together into a board and then cut each bird into a separate unit and then rotated them by 90 degrees.

I can't say that I did anything special to get the accuracy you see. I think I'm just getting better at identifying the exact place to make the next cut. I plan to make a video project soon and I will probably use this design as the subject as it is fun to do and certainly does catch your eye.

Lloyd

Media information

Category
Segmented Turnings
Added by
httpme
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 3 ratings

Share this media