• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.
segmented wood bowl
Art Bodwell

segmented wood bowl

Bowl is 10 inches in diameter, 6 high, 613 pieces of maple, walnut and koa.
Each ring is 36 pieces. Rings assembled using the stomper and longworth chuck. Finished with Vermont Natural Coatings Poly Whey. C & C welcomed and encouraged.
Art,
As with all of your projects, this is a great piece. There is definitely an advantage to using a high number of segments per ring. Did you have any trouble keeping the segments lined up, they look good in the picture. Well done.

H
You certainly have raised the bar again with this piece, Art. It's a great pattern and great execution.
Lloyd

Thank you both for your comments. Jeff, if you mean keeping the segments in order while gluing, it means going slow in lining them up prior to applying glue. I made a color coded chart, showing the placement of each segment in each ring in order to make the pattern work. I arranged each ring, then started applying glue. I used the Malcolm Tibbetts method of pins and a rubber band. After all the glue is applied, start releasing the pins and assuming the glue is still wet enough the ring will assume a circle. I then made final adjustments and applied a hose clamp over the rubber band. I will say 36 segments is approaching the limit to still have the glue wet enough in the early segments to slide into place. And this is with the temp in my shop in the low 50's. May not work in the summer with higher temps and original titebond. The second part was stacking the rings and again this was a matter of carefully placing the ring dry, making a registration mark or two and then applying the glue. A long explanation, but also a long process. Hope this helps.

B
Mr. Bodwell,
I'm assuming this bowl is one of a kind. I purchased this bowl today from one of my neighbors in Oak Harbor, Washington. It is absolutely beautiful! I found you by searching your name (which was burned into the bottom of the bowl along with "2013"). How exciting to find a photo of the actual bowl in your gallery!

Bobby O'Neal

H
Bobby,
Consider yourself very lucky to have one of Arts's pieces in your collection. He is a true artist, a consummate gentleman and one of the finest segmenters I've ever met.
Lloyd

Media information

Category
Segmented Turnings
Added by
Art Bodwell
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Share this media