Tornado Bowl

Discussion in 'Open-Segment Turnings Forum' started by lester gillett, Aug 14, 2017.

1. lester gillett

lester gillett PRO Member

This is my first try at open bowls. I have the 16 segmented seg-easy plate and just
    order the wedge for it. I looked on Wood Turner Pro and found the plans for the
    Tornado Bowl. After I changed the number of segmented to 16 I see it has me
    cutting the picas at 9.2 and the plate shows 8.25. Also the gape is set to 4 degs.
    should I set the gap to a different setting?

Lester

2. Bob Beaupre

Bob Beaupre Administrator Staff Member

Segment PRO is correct.
    Open segment angle is 6 degrees and the cut angle should be 8.25 degrees

3. lester gillett

Thanks Bob, that's what I was hoping it was. Now all I need is to receive the wedge from
    Jerry. I have some walnut picas I am using and not sure what the other wood will be.

4. Bob Beaupre

Your welcome, any more questions please ask

5. lester gillett

I am starting my open segmented bowl and wounder what type of saw blade you use?
    I have tried a 60 tooth and a plywood blade. Both give me a splinted segmented that
    takes some sanding to remove. Would like to buy a new blade just for the open segments
    and want to buy the right one.
    Lester

6. Bob Beaupre

I'm using the thin kerf 90T Diablo Ultra Flawless Finish Crosscut blade

7. lester gillett

Bob I bought a 60T Diablo blade and what a different that made. I am starting to make the Tornado
    bowl. I made a mistake when I glued up the first ring to the bade of the bowl. So I cut that off and will
    start over on that row. I have a new paces made and all the others ready to go. Thanks for the help.
    Lester

8. Bob Beaupre

Lester,
    Here are a few pictures of my fixture for the table saw That I use for cutting my segments 5-1.jpg
    In this picture you see a white colored piece of wood with the word "UP" and an arrow pointing to the right. The actual piece I am cutting is underneath it. This piece of wood on top helps eliminate some more of the little fuzzes.

5-2.jpg

5-3.jpg