• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.
open segmented vase
martyn

open segmented vase

This is my second open segmented turning its 577 pieces made out of Sapele Walnut Beech, finished with a spray on satin lacquer, 355mm tall

i am fairly pleased with it
H
Martyn,
You should be pleased as this is a well-executed piece. And since you're doing so well, I'd like to offer a couple design tips.

Woodturning is similar to photography in that the feature ring is like a horizon and the rule of thirds, or more accurately, the golden ratio of .618 can be very helpful in placing that horizon in the most visually pleasing location. The placement of the horizon gives you the opportunity to lead the viewer's attention. For an example, visualize your turning with these changes:

Turn your vessel over and let the base mimic the feature ring, but reduce it in size, thickness-wise, so that it is less important than the feature ring. Keep the same pattern in the next seven rings and place the feature ring at the widest part of the vessel as it is now. Then use a simpler top third, perhaps without a pattern. This will cause the viewer to see the importance of the lower pattern and it will lead their eyes to the feature ring.

Keep up the great work, Martyn. I expect to see some amazing things from you in a much shorter time than is normal.

Lloyd

thanks for the tips lloyd, i agree with what you say, next one will be better, that was my first open segment vase constructed in two halve, still finding my feet with it all

Media information

Category
Open Segment Turnings
Added by
martyn
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Share this media

Back