• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

CNC turning and milling

B

Bilbao

I am fortunate to own a CNC lathe and a CNC vertical mill both of which are now devoted to woodwork. I have a lifelong collection of wooden blanks some of which are so desert petrified that I have been unable to turn them using a conventional wood lathe.
I want to do 2 things
Firstly, produce some classic bowl designs in cad for conversion into cam for my lathe.
Secondly, I have 2 large oblong pieces of Macassar ebony and another of Cuban mahogany that are crying out to be milled with a bull nose cutter into elliptical bowls.
This request for help should not be seen as heresy by traditional woodies. I am one of them but am anxious to portray the special beauty in my wood collection.

me neither, is there something you wanted to ask, i myself don't see the point in a cnc lathe other than profit and mass production certainly takes the unique quality of each bowl away
when each one is exactly the same as the last, if i was you i'd take that ebony and incorporate it into a one off hand turned segmented bowl of some kind, but thats just me, what ever you do if you start machining that ebony where a mask as that is nasty

My question was whether Woodturner Pro could produce a drawing of sufficient accuracy to be able to be converted into a cam file. These special blocks will all be individual but some are so hard that handturning has been impossible. Once I have a detailed profile then I intend to modify size and shape for each piece.
The macassar block is going to be elliptical and may be best to mill that one-off piece.

- why don't you download the 3d design and wtp. You have a 30 day trial period.

- 3Ddesign is used to produce profiles of the object. The profile can be imported into WTP
- WTP is used to design the object/vessel as a segmented vessel, not solid turning.
-WTP produces the cut list based on the design.

Have your tried sketchup? It may be more suited for solid turnings. It is a free program.

I am fortunate to own a CNC lathe and a CNC vertical mill both of which are now devoted to woodwork. I have a lifelong collection of wooden blanks some of which are so desert petrified that I have been unable to turn them using a conventional wood lathe.
I want to do 2 things
Firstly, produce some classic bowl designs in cad for conversion into cam for my lathe.
Secondly, I have 2 large oblong pieces of Macassar ebony and another of Cuban mahogany that are crying out to be milled with a bull nose cutter into elliptical bowls.
This request for help should not be seen as heresy by traditional woodies. I am one of them but am anxious to portray the special beauty in my wood collection.

I don't have a cnc yet, but will be getting one soon. I have been working with Aspire and a few of the other software solutions, though, and so I am familiar with the process. In fact, I helped start a cnc special users group for the Guild of Oregon Woodworkers and it already has more than 50 members that attend. Certainly, one of my requirements will be a fourth axis for turning, but not for traditional turning as turning by hand is as much fun as you can have. It will mostly be used for production runs of plastic parts that I will use in future products.

i don't currently have an ability to export to a file type that can be imported into any cam software. However, you can use 3D Design Pro to model profiles to see whT they look like in 3D and then copy and paste a screen capture of the 2d window into Aspire, for example, and then use their tools to convert it to a vector. This process should only take a minute or less.
Lloyd

Back