• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Hello. New to the group.

yyz53

PRO Member
I am from Toronto and have been turning as a hobby since 2018 when I retired. My shop is pretty cramped in what was a single car garage. Tools include a 10" Delta tablesaw, router table Rikon 14" bandsaw, Dewalt thickness planer, and a Oneway 2436 lathe. Most of the pieces I started with were solid bowls from chunks of a beautiful cherry log I found in a ravine that had been there for years but suspended in the air so it did not rot (20" diameter at the widest point and 25 feet long). I soon decided that turning most of that beautiful wood into shavings was a waste so I started milling the log and working with segments. Was just calculating the cuts using tables I created on Excel then I saw a papa1947 video on youtube that referenced WTP. So I looked into it and am now doing a try before I buy. Here are a couple of my segmented pieces. The urn was for a good friend that did not make it through Covid. The bowl is 15” across and 5” tall.

Picture2.jpg Picture1.jpg

Thanks for joining WTP forum

- Beautiful work. Like the star piece for the bottom.

- Take a look at the tutorials. While some are dated they still give very good instructions on how to use the software.
- Has been said before but worth stating again.
WTP gives you full control of each ring. It works with 3DDesignPro
SP is rules based. It limits what you can do with each ring. It is great for those wanting to build the typical segment bowl.
The paint feature in SP is great
you cannot directly import a WTP file into SP or SP into WTP.

Comparing designing a vessel on graph paper to using the software is like comparing night and day.
imo, Lloyd's software in the best that is available for segment designing. I use WTP and SP. Each has its benefits depending on what I am trying to design and build.

Enjoy the 30 day trial of the software.

Thanks for joining WTP forum

- Beautiful work. Like the star piece for the bottom.

- Take a look at the tutorials. While some are dated they still give very good instructions on how to use the software.
- Has been said before but worth stating again.
WTP gives you full control of each ring. It works with 3DDesignPro
SP is rules based. It limits what you can do with each ring. It is great for those wanting to build the typical segment bowl.
The paint feature in SP is great
you cannot directly import a WTP file into SP or SP into WTP.

Comparing designing a vessel on graph paper to using the software is like comparing night and day.
imo, Lloyd's software in the best that is available for segment designing. I use WTP and SP. Each has its benefits depending on what I am trying to design and build.

Enjoy the 30 day trial of the software.
Thanks. I am looking at the SP tutorials now. Are similar ones available for WTP through a help tab or something. I want to understand the relationship between the programs and any interworking. The pictures I posted look kind of crappy because I needed to degrade the resolution to get the file size small. I did not see anything on the forum that indicates what the file size should be.

Thanks. I am looking at the SP tutorials now. Are similar ones available for WTP through a help tab or something. I want to understand the relationship between the programs and any interworking. The pictures I posted look kind of crappy because I needed to degrade the resolution to get the file size small. I did not see anything on the forum that indicates what the file size should be.
WTP was Lloyd's first segment planner. There are no profiles within WTP. WTP uses the vessel profile from 3DDesignPro. WTP needs inside/outside wall profile while SP only needs the outside.

I have attached a pdf of the 3DDesignPro vessel index. These shapes are built into the software.

The process in WTP is to design a wall profile in 3DDP. Start up WTP (Both program are running). There is icon to transer the profile to WTP,
You will see the WTP icon in your widows tray flash. Open WTP. You will have a choice of how high or how wide do you want the vessel.
WTP will display the profile. From it you can build your rings. WTP has a neat snap to profile. So you can build up rings to the top of the vessel and select snap to profile to match the to the image.

You can within 3DDP import an image and create your own profile. Or you can just wing it.

Attachments

• 3D Vessels Visual Index.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
Back