• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

SegPro won't fit display window

Dan Gingerich

PRO Member
I'm new both to SegPro and a new laptop (Windows 11). WTP and other software fits as expected but SegPro requires scrolling among panes making it unusable. I just now plugged in a larger monitor but that didn't help (just increased my frustration). Any suggestions?

Hi Dan.
Windows 11 has some video issues. I would make sure your video drivers are the latest. I suspect your laptop is using an Intel Iris x video driver.
See this post by Lloyd. It is not a SP issue but a windows issue.

SP likes a Screen Resolution of 1920 x 1080 (also referred to as 1080p)

If updating the drivers does not fix the issue please post a screenshot of what SP is displaying along with specs about your PC
Video Card, windows version, etc.

If you still have issues, send Lloyd a private message.

My new desktop had an issue of not displaying the 3d vessel in SP. I updated the video driver and it fixed the issue.

Your video card has an its resolution set to 13?? X 768. This may be your maximum resolution of your video card and the size of the screen has nothing to do with it.. To tell, minimize to your desktop, right-click anywhere on the desktop and select Display Options. Look for your resolution and change it to 1920 x 1080 (this is also known as 1080p). This has been the standard for over 5 years now, but you can still buy a computer (usually a laptop) with the lower resolution with a price point of around $200. You will be sorry if you buy this.

When you check your resolution, look on that same screen for Scaling. It MUST be set to 100%, regardless of your resolution. If it is set to something higher. Segment PRO and most other software you use will not display correctly. In review, for ANYONE using Segment PRO, the resolution should be 1920 x 1080 with Scaling set to 100%. If you have an Ultra high-resolution adapter, the Operating system will recommend the highest resolution but you should only do this if you are doing some scientific work that requires that resolution. If you do have that requirement, change it only for the period you need it and then change it back. This is the correct setting for all software.

Since Segment PRO is a 3D program, I had to use programming techniques that require me to pick a static screen resolution. Had I picked 768 which would have made the user interface to display perfectly on your screen, it would have filled just a bit more than half of the screen at 1080 and this is what 95% of my users would have seen. So instead, I picked 900 to make it less bad for low-res computers and not quite as good for high-res computers. I also moved all of the least used fields to the bottom of the screen so that you only have to do a limited amount of scrolling.

I am working on a new interface that lets you detach windows like the Cutaway View. This means that you won’t have to scroll at all but it may be necessary to minimize or move a window. The bottom line is that the only way I could write Segment PRO is the way I did. I routinely set my resolution to 768 so that I can see what 5% of my users are experiencing. It is annoying when I have to scroll, but it is seldom necessary and so if this is the most annoying thing that happens to you today, you’re having a really good day. Plus, if it really bothers you, switch to Woodturner PRO as it is not 3D and so I could use a technique that allows low resolution.

It's a new HP laptop with AMD RYZEN 5000 series and AMD RADEON graphics, whatever that means. I downloaded the AMD drivers to make sure they were up to date but that did not help. Should I try to find a different video card or just give up?

Can you post what model of AMD Radeon Graphics adapter is installed?

But first, minimize all windows and right-click on your desktop and select Display Settings. Scroll down on that page until you find Display Resolution. Click on it to display the various resolutions that are available. If you see 1920 x 1080, click on that and you’re good to go.

I’m guessing that it won’t be there. If it was, it would be set to that resolution when you bought it.

Since it is new, you can simply return it and tell them you need one with 1080p. They certainly didn’t inform you that you were buying a low-resolution laptop so I can’t imagine that they wouldn’t take it back because I don’t know of a single store that doesn’t accept returns.

Nothing else matters. Not memory, processor - nothing. They shouldn’t be selling laptops that are 768 vertical pixel lines as there is no software that will be acceptable with that resolution. Although my other 3 pieces of software will let you run it without scrolling, the resulting images will be hard to look at because there just isn’t enough resolution.

Lloyd

Okay, this is getting interesting. I returned the new laptop, bought another with 1080p, downloaded SegPro, still won't fit the display window. Now what?

Dan

Install zoom video (it’s free). Title: One platform to connect | Zoom
Once you’ve done that, give me a call at 503-781-5117. With zoom, I can share your screen and see what the issue is.

This issue has nothing to do with the software. Segment PRO doesn’t know and doesn’t care what the screen resolution is. If it happens to be less than 1080p, scroll bars appear. If it is more than 1080p, the user interface will not fill the entire screen.

Three things:
1. The resolution MUST be 1920 x 1080
2. The Scaling MUST be 100%.
3. Any changes made for accessibility reasons (poor vision, for example) means that all bets are off.

Right-click the desktop and click Display Settings and make sure issues 1 and 2 are set correctly.

If those two things aren’t correct, the user interface won’t display correctly.

Back