• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Not sure what I am doing wrong in WTP

dwasson

PRO Member
I am new to segmenting and I am in the process of learning WTP and 3DP. I have been doing the Tornado Globe Part 1 follow along video to get an idea how the software works. I get to a point at about 10 minutes into the video after the globe has been created, and the segments have been adjusted, that the wheels come off the bus. When Lloyd switches to the vessel view, it looks great, mine not so much. I have started this thing over from scratch several times, but I always get the same result (definition of insanity, right?). The only difference I can see between his version and mine is the Outside Open Space in the Row Details box on the left side. His says 1/8" and mine says 3/4". This is not a setting that can be changed. I have obviously missed something (several times) as I have followed the video. It is pretty easy to figure out whose is whose in these 2 screen grabs. I would appreciate any guidance and assistance.

Dan

1699300981914.png

1699301013276.png

I believe the issue is the video tutorial is based on an earlier version of WTP. If you look at the first screen it has the open segments as a percentage. Later versions of WTP has the open segments as degrees (your second image).

Uncheck the Open Segments are at 20 Degrees.
The Outside Open Space box should be available for input of 1/8th.

From another thread Lloyd provided some information in March of 2016
"A couple of years ago, the gap for open segments was calculated as a percentage of the segment edge length. You are probably looking at an old tutorial that showed a percentage of something around 20%. When I added the SegEasy plates, though, the gap on them was measured in degrees instead of a percentage. So I changed the gap to match the SegEasy plates. One method is not better than another, but it only made sense for the software to be consistent with the plates I was now selling.
However, I also made it possible for you to override this. At the front of the 'gap' line is a checkbox and if it is checked (it is by default), it automatically calculates the gap by the degrees specified. If you uncheck it, though, you get to pick whatever opening you like. You do this by putting a value in the 'Vertical Spacer' field in the left column. If you wanted the opening to be exactly the same for each row, you would just enter the same value in every row. You can have every row be different, though, so the bottom line is that you can have it any way you want it."

Last edited:
Lloyd’s screen shot shows open segments are 20% where yours shows 20 degrees. I think if you change the setting to 6 degrees you will have the correct gap.

I misread the earlier emails and made an incorrect post which I deleted. Mike has given you a correct answer in that the software used to use percentage and now uses degrees to match the SegEasy plates which I sell. Each of those plates has a number of segments and the number of degrees you need to use to match the SegEasy plate (if you are going to use one). All of the plates have the number of segments and the number of degrees etched into them so, for example, an 18/6 plate has 18 segments with a 6 degree gap. And as Mike has said setting the Woodturner PRO gap to 6 will solve your problem.

Segment PRO knows about the SegEasy plates and so if you set the number of segments to 12, 16, 18, 24, 36 or 48, the gap degrees will be automatically set for you. Woodturner PRO does not because you are in charge and you may want 6 degrees for 18 segments and you may want 5 degrees so you need to set it for the number of degrees you want to use.

Thank you Mike and Lloyd, that was the problem. I am back on my way to learning segmenting.

Thanks again.

Back