• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

category list

huntermate22

PRO Member
hello. i am new to lathe work, but i really enjoy it i have been eyeing the programs for quite some time and finally purchased them. However upon trying to create a file in the segment Pro software i do not have anything listed under "platters, Tom, or miscellaneous" is this normal? or did the program not load correctly??? Is there also anyone from Canada on here?? i have watched the videos on the jig for gluing the stomper to make isn't an issue for my husband. but the segments plates are not shipped to Canada. i wondered what everyone here used?? thanks a bunch

Hi:
There is nothing wrong with your SP. When I pulled up SP and go to profiles the following categories have no profiles.
- misc.
- platters
- Tom Lohmans Designs

Tom Lohman sells some SP designs. The folder under the category list would be where those profile/plans would be stored.

The category list is built into the program. You can design your own (example) platter and then save the profile to that folder.

One thing to note. SP has a save function for PROFILE and a save funtion for the bowl.

Note 2: 3DDesign Pro has platters and other profiles that SP does not have.
Here are 5 pdf files with some profiles . The 3D Vessels Visual Index will give you the key to what file numbers mean in 3DDP.
You cannot import a 3DDP profile directly into SP. You could capture the profile image in 3ddp and paste it into the SP profile viewer

SP only needs the outside profile line. It uses the wall thickness setting to determine inside diameter.

For some of your platter creations I would recommend using WTP. WTP gives you full control of each ring.

Attachments

• 3D Vessels Visual Index.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
  • 3dpro-basic-shapes.pdf
    392.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 3dpro-historical-shapes.pdf
    748.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 3dpro-misc-shapes.pdf
    384.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 3dpro-southwestern-shapes.pdf
    917.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
thank you so much. i have all the programs i bought the whole package. :) i was trying to find a way to copy /paste the profile from 3d to the seg pro

is there a video on how to do this???
"You could capture the profile image in 3ddp and paste it into the SP profile viewer

SP only needs the outside profile line. It uses the wall thickness setting to determine inside diameter."

i am having difficulty. please and thanks

"You could capture the profile image in 3ddp and paste it into the SP profile viewer

SP only needs the outside profile line. It uses the wall thickness setting to determine inside diameter."

No video.
Since you have all the software, why not use WTP. Profiles in 3DDP can be directly imported into WTP.
You have to have 3DDP and WTP up and running at the same time.
===============
are you using windows 11? Would help to know in writing up some pointers for you.

Watch the SP tutorial about the Image Editor. This shows how to use an image as a background so that you can place dots along its profile to make your own profile. As Mike said, you can then do a Profile > Save so that you can use it whenever you like.

With regards to platters, I’m going to remove that category because it is hard to do a platter in Segment PRO and here is the reason. In Segment PRO, you only draw the outside profile and the software makes the inside profile by looking at the dots you placed for the outside diameter. A platter is usually only 1“ - 3” high and so there are too few dots in the vertical direction for the software to know how to draw the inside profile. In 3D Design Pro, you draw both the outside and the inside wall profile and so you are in complete control of what the finished wall profile should look like.

I’m going to remove the three categories you mentioned in the next release. Frankly, I just neglected to remove them earlier. You are free to add as many categories as you like but here is a tip - don’t delete any of the categories (or any of the files the software installed, for that matter). The software does a check whenever you start the software to make sure that all files are present and it will get confused if some are not found. A reinstall fixes this, however.

Lloyd

A platter is usually only 1“ - 3” high and so there are too few dots in the vertical direction for the software to know how to draw the inside profile. In 3D Design Pro, you draw both the outside and the inside wall profile and so you are in complete control of what the finished wall profile should look like.
thanks Lloyd, i am glad you responded, i was trying to create a platter in seg pro and i was having difficulties with the height. i seen a video where tom used the lam pro and the seg pro and the print out showed how to glue the pieces and cut. however when i show print preview on the 3D or export to woodturner it doesn't show this that i can find? Therefore, how do i know how to glue the pieces since i am just starting out in a strip before cutting?? or are all the pieces cut separately.?? there is quite the learning curve to learn. :) :D

Is there also anyone from Canada on here?? i have watched the videos on the jig for gluing the stomper to make isn't an issue for my husband. but the segments plates are not shipped to Canada. i wondered what everyone here used?? thanks a bunch
Hi Huntermate22. I am in Canada (town called Strathmore just east of Calgary). What part of Canada are you in?

When you say the segment plates are not shipped to Canada, are you talking about the glue-up plates or the wedgies? Where did you try to purchase the segment plates from? I've never used the glue up plates. I use different methods to construct my vessels. If you wish we can have a discussion on that.

When doing open segmented pieces, I use a Tom Lohman style gluing jig. For solid work, I use band clamps to glue up rings up to 48 segments/ring. Over 48 I use the gluing jig. For cutting segments I use a wedgie sled. I have two, one I made myself and one that was custom made for me by Pete Marken. I highly recommend Pete's jigs. The accuracy is fantastic.

Hi Huntermate22. I am in Canada (town called Strathmore just east of Calgary). What part of Canada are you in?

When you say the segment plates are not shipped to Canada, are you talking about the glue-up plates or the wedgies? Where did you try to purchase the segment plates from? I've never used the glue up plates. I use different methods to construct my vessels. If you wish we can have a discussion on that.I
I will mail plates to Canada but need to do it manually so that I can give you the actual cast of the shipment.
Call me at 503-781-5117.

Lloyd

Back