• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Cut list or support for required total species length

JonathanKlein

PRO Member
In the summary view there are columns labeled width and length (towards the end and they aren't populated per ring). what are these meant to be? Is it an attempt at given the required amount of material needed for a specific species. My project is 19 rings of walnut and a solid base - i was hoping it would be easy to get an estimate of the required length of material i would need. Or is there a good cut list software where the exported summary can be feed into to generate this?

Thanks,

I created a quick vessel in SP and clipped the summary sheet. Starting at the left and working to the right:
- Width: Is the board width needed for the specific ring row.
- Length: Is the minimum Total board length needed to create the ring. Calculation takes into account a saw kerf on 0.125" The Length calculation is based on using only one species for the entire ring. I tend to add an inch or two for extra safety.
- In the Species section (right side of the table) it list the species, number of segments, and minimum board length material needed to create the ring
It gives a good estimate to see if you have enough stock for that ring.

Sometimes it is useful to post your json file so we can address your question specifically to your project.
Share / export than attach the json file.

Hope this helps.

1692914777694.png

Last edited:
I created a quick vessel in SP and clipped the summary sheet. Starting at the left and working to the right:
- Width: Is the board width needed for the specific ring row.
- Length: Is the minimum Total board length needed to create the ring. Calculation takes into account a saw kerf on 0.125" The Length calculation is based on using only one species for the entire ring. I tend to add an inch or two for extra safety.
- In the Species section (right side of the table) it list the species, number of segments, and minimum board length material needed to create the ring
It gives a good estimate to see if you have enough stock for that ring.

Sometimes it is useful to post your json file so we can address your question specifically to your project.
Share / export than attach the json file.

Hope this helps.

View attachment 4989
1692919965415.png

so you can see in my summary view there are two entries for row 12 - does that mean i need 12+12 inches? why did it split it like that? why is row 13 off (everything is a single species being walnut). just confusing in the presentation.

one other thing - when you export to a spreadsheet, everything is done as text (cause it is '35.30 as an example - not sure why the quote is placed there). makes doing further computations difficult.

Attachments

• 2023-8-22-11-14-11.json
    253.6 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for posting your json file. It helps

I see that the vessel is all walnut. Did you do any painting of segments? If so could explain why rings have 2 species both walanut.

I just went into paint, clicked on reset segments, selected the first walnut (jtop one on the paint pallet list) went back to vessel view and then summary. and the table clean up.

SP can get confused if you start painting and change number of segments. The pointers get messed up. I will attach a cleaned up json file

It looks like for row 12 you would need a minimum of 24.2 inch board. imo, the reason for the slight difference between row 12 and 13 is a rounding thing. Looking at your vessle profile there is a slight difference in OD.

1692923254883.png

Not knowing exactly how you built the vessel, it looks like the database got confused. Here is my changed one.

Attachments

• 2023-8-22-11-14-11.json
    54.3 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for posting your json file. It helps

I see that the vessel is all walnut. Did you do any painting of segments? If so could explain why rings have 2 species both walanut.

I just went into paint, clicked on reset segments, selected the first walnut (jtop one on the paint pallet list) went back to vessel view and then summary. and the table clean up.

SP can get confused if you start painting and change number of segments. The pointers get messed up. I will attach a cleaned up json file

It looks like for row 12 you would need a minimum of 24.2 inch board. imo, the reason for the slight difference between row 12 and 13 is a rounding thing. Looking at your vessle profile there is a slight difference in OD.

View attachment 4992
thanks for the explanation.

Segment PRO keeps track of every segment you paint. If you paint and then reduce the number of segments per route, the software still keeps track of those segments in the event you change it back to the earlier segment count. In the meantime, though, the software is commuted because it first know what to do with those segments.

Fortunately, it’s an easy fix. C lick the Reset all segments button and reputation and the Summary will be correct.

The next release of Segment PRO will resolve this issue by deleting the deleted segments automatically.

It’s not ready for release yet as there are other additions that still require a lot of work and I can’t release it until it is all finished.

Lloyd

Segment PRO keeps track of every segment you paint. If you paint and then reduce the number of segments per route, the software still keeps track of those segments in the event you change it back to the earlier segment count. In the meantime, though, the software is commuted because it first know what to do with those segments.

Fortunately, it’s an easy fix. C lick the Reset all segments button and reputation and the Summary will be correct.

The next release of Segment PRO will resolve this issue by deleting the deleted segments automatically.

It’s not ready for release yet as there are other additions that still require a lot of work and I can’t release it until it is all finished.

Lloyd
Thanks again. A few things maybe that can be squeezed in then - the length is in inches even if you use mm. Also the export is putting an opening quote around all numbers which makes it not possible to do further math functions without removing that quote.

Thanks,
Jonathan Klein

The issue of not all data showing in metric when metric is selected has already been fixed. It will be in the next release as soon as the rains set in and I get back to programming. I am maximizing my outside enjoyment time while the weather is good.

The issue I’ of not all data showing in c when c is selected has already been fixed. It will be in the next release as soon as the rains set in and I get back to programming. I am maximizing y outside enjoyment time while I still can.
Take your time. I am a professional software engineer working for one of those big companies for the last 36 years. I know it takes a while to do a software release.

Back