• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Optimize segment edge length

Gregory Just

PRO Member
My apologies if this was already answered but I searched everywhere and could not find an answer. In Segment Pro, in the summary page, there is an option to Optimize the SEL. I understand this makes life much easier when cutting segments, but the diameter of the vessel is not updated in the summary when I chose this option. Am I missing something? Do I made the segment width more so that I can accommodate the shape while turning? Thanks in advance

Optimize board width
- will not impact final ring size.
- Based on your vessel profile it is a way to minimize the number of different widths of the strips you use to cut your segments.
- It basically rounding board width to the nearest tenth.

Optimizing SEL
- Will not impact final shape. it basically rounds to the nearest 10th rather than base calculation showing to the nearest 1000th.
- it is a way to minimize the number of SEL change setups you have to do.

If you are new to segment building I would increase the Board Width in the Bowl setting window. Doing so does not increase the OD but changes the ID. I tend to add 0.125 to .25 to board width.

If you want more material (OD) you can use the diameter +/- function in the Bowl settings. That is make a larger diameter ring that you are going to turn down to a smaller ring. If you do that it is good to increase the board width.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. What thought about doing was to export to Excel and modify the SEL on those rings that fell short of the desired diameter. I will try your suggestion.

Another idea since you have a project built in SP is to take the summary sheet and using it as a guide rebuild the vessel in WoodTurnerPro

Should not take you all that long. The main information is the OD and ID and ring thickness. Once in WTP you can tweak the diameter both inside and out of each ring.

Back