• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Segment board width critical

D

daryl

I’m new to segment turning and looking at Kevin Neelley’s round bow example, I see that each of the segment’s board width has different board width numbers. (i.e 1.42, 1.46, 1.5 …) It seems to me that the segment board width is not critical as long as the segment does not exceed the diameter of the circle. So looking at the example above all the board widths could be cut at 1.5 inches. The down side is that you have a little bit more to trim out of the bowl.

The critical number is the Segment Edge length. The reason is this determines the diameter of the circle.

Am I missing something??

Daryl

No, you're not missing anything. The width of the board is going to determine the inside diameter. You can see this if in WP you size a ring and then make changes to the inside diameter. The only thing that will change is the width of the board. This is a case of bigger is better. If you reduce the board width by an excessive amount you might not have enough left for your final turning.

As Stuart said above.

Board width would be the same if you just made a cylinder with the inside and outside diameter the same.
This is shown quite well within WTP, especially if you imported a profile from 3design.

Basically, the greater the diameter change from the bottom of a ring to the top, the wider the board has to be.

By having different widths, you are saving wood material. Think about it. Look how much wood you have to carve out when your doing a solid turning.

Back