• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Wedgies accuracy

M

Mikeh

I made my first attempt with a wedgie sled. I had terrible results, worst ring I have ever cut. My sled is not a adjustable. I just screwed the fences down. The template I am using is 36* quilt pattern triangle. I tried to make a 10 segmented ring 16 inch diameter. All stock is equal in dimension. I placed the wedge between the fences to check allignment, and it is nice and tight. I was looking forward to making better segments, but disappointed in the outcome. I don't know what I have done wrong. The triangle seems to at the correct angle. Here is a pic of a smaller ring.

Attachments

• 20160315_163242.jpg
    20160315_163242.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
There are two very important things to consider if you make a wedgie sled. First, and most obvious, the inside angle has to be exactly the right angle. Second, but less obvious is that the two opposing sides of the upper fence has to be perfectly parallel. If either of these is off by even a half degree, you'll have a six degree gap from a 12-segment ring. Its a good idea to take the two boards you want to use ( and maybe and extra or two and stand them up on their edges and run them through a well-tuned thickness planer at the same time. Table saw fences are notoriously out of line (sometimes on purpose) and any error will be multiplied by the number of segments in your ring.

I don't think I understand, the inside angle. The ring I am making is 1.312 thick and .625 tall. The board was planed and jointed on 1 side. I then cut 1.312 strips and ripped them to .625. I only used the bottom fence and flipped every other cut, wouldn't this compensate for slight fence misalignment. I have made several segments both on the table saw and chop saw, never noticed anything wrong with the fence. Just had problems with blade tilt. Should I run the 1.312 srtips up in a drum sander or planer? Thasks very much for your help!

Mike,
You are not using the sled correctly. It will be best if you watch a Youtube video as the explanation is easier if you can watch it and, fortunately, there are dozens of videos on the subject.
In a nutshell, you have two boards that form a 'V' that has a precision-made angle for the number of segments you are wanting per row. You take the board you will be cutting the segments from and draw a wavy line on one side of it and here is the key - the wavy line stays face up, you NEVER flip the board over. You place your board on the INSIDE of the V on the fence nearest you and make your first cut. You then move the board to the OUTSIDE of the fence that is furthest from you. Because each of fences are angled, the two cuts make one segment and the second cut becomes the first cut of the next segment.

The science behind this is that the second cut is at a complimentary angle to the first cut. That means that if your first fence is off by one degree, your second cut will also be off that the exact same error. The two errors, when taken together, will equal one perfect angle as long as the two fences have the perfect angle and as long as the fence away from you has two sides that are perfectly parallel. This is true regardless of the orientation of the two fences.

As an added benefit, if your saw blade isn't aligned perpendicular to the table of the saw, it won't make a bit of difference, because the complimentary angle will also correct for a tilted blade.

As you get better at this, you'll start seeing the design capabilities of deliberately putting the two fences out of alignment. What this means is that the edges of the pie-shaped segments will not point to the center as you would normally do with traditional segments. Because the lines are off-center, you can do 'segmented trickery' because the joints made by the straight cuts of the saw will appear to be curved. If they were pointing directly at the center the straight joints will always look to be straight.

I see what went wrong now, thanks for the help. I only used the lower fence and that would have needed to be aligned with the blade. I just need a plunge router so i can make a adjustable fence. Thanks!

Back