• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

My bowl came apart at the veneer rings. Any thoughts?

J

Jim Westmoreland

I just had my new vessel fly off the lathe (what a sickening site!) when I was flattening the last ring I just added. The base is ebony with a veneer of white,then a veneer of dyed black, and then 4 rings of maple. I had a mild catch, and it sheared off right betwee the 2 layers of veneer. I lucked out and it didn't shatter but I am nervous now about veneer rings close to the base. Any one have the same experience? Or thoughts?

I have only done reading on ebony. My first thoughts is there was not a good glue bond between the veneer and the ebony. Some turners I know preclean the ebony prior to gluing.

"Due to its high density and oily nature, gluing can be a problem. Like all oily woods, the gluing surfaces of ebony should be pre-cleaned with acetone prior to applying the adhesive. Because off its dense nature glue will not penetrate deeply, so for best results epoxy or polyurethane type glues are recommended because of their superior strength.

African Ebony Wood Species Information & Its Applications to Wood Projects

Mike: I have had this problem in the past. It is usually the veneer itself which separates by splitting. Veneer is a softwood and not that strong. Willie T.

I would agree with that cause of failure. Some woods are so dense and oily that titebond glue does not penetrate very well. In my opinion light sanding or pre cleaning with lacquer thinner before glue would help. In any other situation it probably would have held but in the case of turning a lot of torque is probably on that joint.:(

Back