• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.
  • Due to a scam attack, the gallery is temporarily turned off. I am working to get this fixed but I have some other things that are higher prioriity. I do hope to have it back soon and there shouldn't be any changes to the content. At least, that is the hope.

What do the Species Length Columns mean?

DaveJ

PRO Member
As a new user who hasn't actually made anything with the software yet, I design my project and get to the Summary chart OK, but I am confused what the column Species/Length means? I assume I just cut every segment to the SEL and the number of segments as in the Species column on the right. E.G. in my row 4 I have SEL at 34.6 then go across to Species and it says 12 segments of Kauri / Length 15.6, 4 segments of Totara / length 5.1 and 2 segments of Ash / length 2.5. and I can't figure out what the Species Length refers to.

Hi Dave:
By your numbers I as guessing you are using metric measurements.

- You are correct that for a ring all the segments are cut at the same SEL. for ring 4 you are saying the SEL is 34.6 for each segment.

- the Length in the Species portion of the table is the minimum board length you would need of that species to cut the number of segments listed.
(This is something that was added in one of the updates. The tutorial on the summary view is based on the original version of SP. SP when it first came out only gave the number of segments per species in a ring. The length of board was for the ring and not for each species.

The most important thing is to keep the board length to a size you can safely cut the segments from.

-----------
Depending on the question you have it is helpful to post the json file of your project. It allows us to import the project in SP so we can see exactly what you are seeing.
That is done by clicking on Share / Export
The created json plan for your project will be stored in My Segment Pro folder.

Hi Dave:
By your numbers I as guessing you are using metric measurements.

- You are correct that for a ring all the segments are cut at the same SEL. for ring 4 you are saying the SEL is 34.6 for each segment.

- the Length in the Species portion of the table is the minimum board length you would need of that species to cut the number of segments listed.
(This is something that was added in one of the updates. The tutorial on the summary view is based on the original version of SP. SP when it first came out only gave the number of segments per species in a ring. The length of board was for the ring and not for each species.

The most important thing is to keep the board length to a size you can safely cut the segments from.

-----------
Depending on the question you have it is helpful to post the json file of your project. It allows us to import the project in SP so we can see exactly what you are seeing.
That is done by clicking on Share / Export
The created json plan for your project will be stored in My Segment Pro folder.
Wow thank you for the prompt reply. Yes I use metric and it is waaayyy easier than the imperial system I used as a boy. Still, it's what you get used to I guess.
I must say that the support for this product is fantastic. The forum has loads of interesting information and tutorials And I will be sure to check in a lot thanks again

Hi again, sorry but I still don't understand what the number in the Species (top tab) Species Name eg Maple/Length columns mean. I am making a Painted yarn bowl and understand the segment lengths I need and the type of wood but those columns at the end (green highlighted for species and next to it length) mean. I I have attached the json file and included a screenshot.
1682289704491.png

Attachments

• 2016-12-1-13-50-8.json
    52.9 KB · Views: 1
Your question was answered in post 2
"- the Length (lgth) in the Species portion of the table is the minimum board length you would need of that species to cut the number of segments listed."

It seems you have found a bug in the program. for individual species it is not showing mm but inches.

Row 2 you need 567.4 mm board length, 27 mm wide to get your 16 maple segments.)
The 22.3 is in inches. It seems SP is showing inch measurements instead of metric in the table for indivdual species.
567.4mm = 22.3 inches.

Lloyd is aware of the issue and should be corrected when the SP update comes out later this year 2023.

Last edited:
Thank you for the explanation. The figures didn't make sense to me but now I know they show minimum board length in inches it all makes sense and I understand. Thanks again, Dave

Thank you for the explanation. The figures didn't make sense to me but now I know they show minimum board length in inches it all makes sense and I understand. Thanks again, Dave
No problem. It is good you pointed out the confusion. A bug in the program was found.

I don't do metric and admit I didn't pay much attention to the number other than its the length you need. After you asked again, I looked a bit harder at the numbers because 22.3 did not make any sense. Way to small for mm. That lead me finding it was in inches and not metric.

Lloyd says it should be an easy fix. Stay tuned for when the update comes out. Till then, get out the old PC and use the inches to mm conversion from the internet. :)

That's a good point. I would be satisfied with mm accuracy, and would simplify dialing in the edge length.

Back