• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

adding spacers

lakenuts2

PRO Member
I am trying(learning) to add spacers to a bowl design. I read where you need to have feature rings and I got the spacers to show in there but in the bowl view and summary they are not showing in the other rings. I have the dropdown box for "all rings".

How do I correct this?

Hi Lakenuts2.
- From your description I take it you are using Segment Pro.
- Select the Pallette you want to use.
- I believe Column 7 sets the species for the spacers.
- In SP you have a choice of Default Ring, Featured or All rings.

default rings are all rings but the featured ring and accent rings.
Featured ring places spacers in the featured ring only
All rings places spacers in the featured ring and default rings.

I have done that but in the bowl view it's only showing on the bottom ring not the other rings. How do I get the spacers to show in the other rings?

Yes, I did that.

- Try restarting SP and redo the project.
- What palette are you using? What species is in column 7
- Have you selected featured ring in the bowl settings?

If the problem still exists.
Do a Share / Export to create a json file.
attach the json file to a post.
That way I can take a look at all your settings.

OK I will try that. I created a palette for this bowl and put Sapele in column 7. I do have featured in in the bowl settings.

OK take a look at this, I was able to get it to go with everything but the feature ring this time. Thoughts on what I'm doing wrong.

Attachments

• 2016-12-1-13-52-0.json
    52.1 KB · Views: 16
OK take a look at this, I was able to get it to go with everything but the feature ring this time. Thoughts on what I'm doing wrong.

I downloaded and imported your 2016-12-1-12-52-0.json file. When I imported it into SP a pop up window showed that what was imported was a Profile json file and not a Plan json file. I should have gotten a "plan imported successfully ?

One of the tale sign for me is the file name. Your file was created in 2016. A new plan should have a 2022-4-20-xx-xx (year-month-date-xx-xx) xx being some number

In SP when you have completed your plan, You need to save your plan by using the SAVE Plan in the Bowl Setting box (bottom of window)
The suspect you used the Save Profile at the top of SP window. Next to bowl height adjustment

Then the procedures the same. Save the plan, do a share export.

Here is a link to the tutorial explain how to save a plan and a profile

Here is a image of the bowl. All I am trying to figure out is how to get the spacers in the top row.

Attachments

• bowl #2.jpg
    bowl #2.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 3
Thanks. The latest work.

The simplest solution is to recreate the project in WoodTurnerPro. SP is rules based and limits on what you can do with rings. WTP gives you full control of each ring.

When playing with your project file it looks like the top ring is the featured ring. As such SP does not put spacers in between segment. You may want to query Lloyd if he has any ideas. Not sure why the SP won't allow spaces in between the featured ring segments.

While it will not show up in your model, you could go ahead and build a top ring with spacers.

Sorry I could not be of more help. I misunderstood what your issue was. Bottom line, if you have WTP, build the project in it. You can put spacers in any ring. If you don't have WTP, the download is fully functional for 30 days as a trial.

I'll hold off on WTP for now.
If your spacers are thin enough it will not be a factor. Will make the diameter slightly larger. Just increase the width of the segments.

WTP while the older program is the one I use the most. It gives full control. SP does have a better paint feature for designing patterns.

If your spacers are thin enough it will not be a factor. Will make the diameter slightly larger. Just increase the width of the segments.

WTP while the older program is the one I use the most. It gives full control. SP does have a better paint feature for designing patterns.
Simple to subtract the thickness of the spacers from the length of the segment to get a closer approximation of the ring size. If you really want to get close measure the divider across at the same angle as the segment cut. You’ll be treating the two as a single segment from that point.

Back