• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Clicking 'Species' tab crashes Segment Pro

I have not experienced that issue with SP so far:

- Have you been able to access the species list in the past?
- Have you made any changes (addition/deletion to the species list?

Worse case:
If you have any plans, you have created and want to keep do a SHARE / EXPORT for each plan.
Then close SP and uninstall the program.
Reinstall the program.

You may not need to Authorization code when you reinstall. In case you do your code should be listed in Account Details / Preferences

My guess it the Species folder got corrupted.

Wow that sounds like a real pain in the neck. I have dozens of plans. So, I would have to open and export each one? Surely there's a way to update the software without doing that!

I just found something else the crashes the software. I tried the grouping option (on 'Category') and when I tried to open one of the plans in a category, THAT also crashed the software.
I take it you have not removed the software and reinstalled.

I just started SP, Category/group/southwest and then clicked on a profile. It loaded just fine.

- I would reinstall the software.

- If crashes persist. Contact Lloyd.

It was apparently just the first plan I tried to open. I tried it again with a different plan and it loaded fine.

I found another post of yours that talks about saving to a jump drive and that describes the location of the plan files (in Apps/Roaming). So, If I copy those to a safe directory, I should be able to import them back into the software if I re-install it?

It was apparently just the first plan I tried to open. I tried it again with a different plan and it loaded fine.

I found another post of yours that talks about saving to a jump drive and that describes the location of the plan files (in Apps/Roaming). So, If I copy those to a safe directory, I should be able to import them back into the software if I re-install it?

yes. You would start SP and do a SHARE/IMPORT.

When you installed SP it made a My Segement Pro folder in your Document folder.
Within My Segment Pro is the species folder and where the json files are stored when you export.

When you export a Plan the pop up window states the path to the file.

So, I uninstalled Segment Pro (version 1.1.028) and downloaded and installed the latest version (1.1.029). The good news is that all my old plans are there. The bad news is, the Species tab still crashes the app.

Thoughts?

Found the problem. There was a non-jpg file in the directory. Once I removed that, the tab works.

Good work.

Lloyd posted this in another thread.
"The jpeg file compression protocol was developed in 1992 by the Joint Photography Expert Group. Today there are nearly 10 versions of this protocol that use the extension of jpg but are not true jpg files. Woodturner PRO uses the official jpeg libraries to compress and decompress images but if a file does not follow these protocols, it is not a valid jpg file. If you open an invalid file with something like Paint and then perform a SaveAs, it is written out as a correctly formatted jpg file. This file will be recognized by Lamination PRO but an incorrectly formatted jpg cannot be recognized.

Other issues I know users have had is when creating a new palette is not filling in all of the columns for species. If you leave one blank, SP can crash.

Two things can cause the software to crash. First, deleting a file that is expected to be there causes the software to not know what to do and it doesn’t currently know how to proceed. Second, if a file that is not a well-formed image file is placed in the species folder, the software can’t process it and it abnormally ends. This is extremely rare, though.

A good rule of thumb is that you can delete any Profile, Plan or Species that you create but don’t delete any files that were created during the installation. A future release, will let you know that a file is missing but the software won’t crash.

If you delete a file either on purpose or by accident, there are two ways to fix it. First, if you simply reinstall the same build number of the software, the installation will identify that the build numbers of the old and new are the same and you will be given a screen that gives you the option of Repair, Replace or Remove and you should select the Repair option which *should* add files that are missing. In 90% of the cases, this will fix the problem. If it doesn’t, there is a foolproof way to fix it that isn’t difficult. You need to use your File Explorer (icon with a yellow file folder) and browse to the following location - This PC > drive C > users > your login name > AppData > Roaming > Woodturner PRO and then delete the folder named Segment PRO. You can then reinstall the software regardless of the build number and this will return the software to the expected contents of all folders. Doing this will have no affect on whatever Profiles or Plans that you have already created because they are not stored in the AppData location.

One caveat with the second method is that AppData may be a hidden file that does not show in the File Explorer. If that is the case, there is a box in the File Explorer named ‘Show Hidden Files’ that must be checked.

If you need help in doing the second option, simply call me at 5O3-781-5II7 and I’ll be glad to do it for you in less than a minute using Zoom video.

I made the change to Segment Pro to have the software keep track of user created files for a simple reason - segmenters are great at segmenting by not very good at making a directory structure for saved files and they struggle to locate files that they can’t find at a later date.

Lloyd

Back