• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Angle Calculation in Summary

gjane14

PRO Member
I might have found an answer to my question while reading through past posts in this forum but need to clarify it in my head with you guys... Being new to segmented turning, SP and just flat out not thinking it through, the summary page prints out the angles at what the angle would be on one side of the cut? So for example: I planned out a 24 seg bowl, the summary called for 7.5 deg angle and without thinking about it, I cut 24 segments using my wedgie sled at 7.5 degrees. Thinking I did oh so good with these cuts, I go to dry fit and as you can imagine i made a half ring, I looked at my wedgies for 24 seg and it says 15 degrees on it, so then I realized I wasn't paying attention to the segment number on the wedgie but the degree angle on it.

So to clarify, when the summary prints out the angle it is in fact just one side and I need to keep in my head to multiply that number by 2, correct? Or have I confused myself even more?

- The listed angle on the summary sheet is what you need based on cutting a miter on two sides of the segment block.
360 deg. / No. of Segments / 2 = segment miter angle. Or more simply 180 / No of Segments = segment miter angle.

- Since the 24 segments you cut made a good half circle the miter angle had to be 3.75 degrees.
180 / 48 = 3.75

I have always used the miter angle on the sheet to set the fence miter angle.
- Using one fence system the miter angle is set based on the summary sheet. When mitering the segment, the strip of wood is flipped between cuts.
- Using the segeasy (two fence system) the strip of wood IS NOT flipped. The strip is moved from the front fence to the back fence keeping the same edge of the strip against the fence.
- the total angle between the two fences would be 15 degrees for 24 segments . Each fence at 7.5 degrees.

- if you use a commercial set of wedges for the wedgie sled or make your own it is a simple process to set up the sled.
- Remember you are mitering two sides. The total angle from the two cuts would equal 15 degrees.
- So, yes the total angle between two fences would be 15 degrees. 7.5 per fence.

If you have not looked at the vids here is a link to the segeasy site.

Last edited:
- The listed angle on the summary sheet is what you need based on cutting a miter on two sides of the segment block.
360 deg. / No. of Segments / 2 = segment miter angle. Or more simply 180 / No of Segments = segment miter angle.

- Since the 24 segments you cut made a good half circle the miter angle had to be 3.75 degrees.
180 / 48 = 3.75

I have always used the miter angle on the sheet to set the fence miter angle.
- Using one fence system the miter angle is set based on the summary sheet. When mitering the segment, the strip of wood is flipped between cuts.
- Using the segeasy (two fence system) the strip of wood IS NOT flipped. The strip is moved from the front fence to the back fence keeping the same edge of the strip against the fence.
- the total angle between the two fences would be 15 degrees for 24 segments . Each fence at 7.5 degrees.

- if you use a commercial set of wedges for the wedgie sled or make your own it is a simple process to set up the sled.
- Remember you are mitering two sides. The total angle from the two cuts would equal 15 degrees.
- So, yes the total angle between two fences would be 15 degrees. 7.5 per fence.

If you have not looked at the vids here is a link to the segeasy site.
Thank you! Okay this makes perfect sense... Lloyd also replied but I only saw it in an email, not on this thread for some reason and you've both helped me to get it straight in my head. I was using the wedgie sled making 2 cuts on one side, now making my bowl a 48 segment rather than 24, which is okay because it just gives me more practice and this alone was a learning opportunity.

I will tell ya, this has made me wish I paid more attention in geometry in school LOL!!

Back