• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

5/8" hole to fit Stomper

B

bbrewer

I have my sprinkler head and getting ready to make my Stomper, but I have a question. I don't have a deep hollowing tool and I am wondering what I will do about removing the 5/8" hole in the base of a tall vessel. Even if you have a long hollowing setup, how would you finish the bottom unless you have an opening bigger than your fist?
I will appreciate any advice.

Could you build your tall vessel in two parts. top/bottom?

If your vessel is tall with a final small opening, who is going to see the small indentation in the bottom? When I have used the stomper I only put a small (0.128) indentation for centering purposes. I do not put a 5/8 hole all the way through the bottom.

Could you build your tall vessel in two parts. top/bottom?

If your vessel is tall with a final small opening, who is going to see the small indentation in the bottom? When I have used the stomper I only put a small (0.128) indentation for centering purposes. I do not put a 5/8 hole all the way through the bottom.
I agree about a narrow opening. I guess i was thinking more of something that would be smaller than your fist where you have an open view but not able to reach it.
I had thought about doing it in halves. Build up and turn from the bottom to the middle, then start at the top and work down to the middle.
On the other hand, maybe I am making too big a deal out of this and should just consider the small hole to be an embellishment.

I agree about a narrow opening. I guess i was thinking more of something that would be smaller than your fist where you have an open view but not able to reach it.
I had thought about doing it in halves. Build up and turn from the bottom to the middle, then start at the top and work down to the middle.
On the other hand, maybe I am making too big a deal out of this and should just consider the small hole to be an embellishment.

That is another option. I have seen turners do that . For me it is how visible is the indent going to be. If it is not really visible I don't worry about it. Now if I was a world class turner, I suspect that would not be acceptable :)

I have also built my bigger vessels on the lathe using a Longworth chuck for centering the ring to be attached. No indent on the bottom.

I think using the lathe is the best idea. I'll just have to make a small reduction to the diameter of the chuck to fit on my lathe. Thanks for your help.

I will set my tool rest at an angle inside the piece where I have support and can reach the bottom fairly easy. I use the stomper for about 8 to 10 ring then use my tail stock to center align the remainder of the rings using a cone wedge. If a tall vessel build in two half's as mentioned earlier.

Thank you , Rod. The cone sounds like a good idea. I'll add that to my arsenal.

I use a small piece of 1/4 inch plywood attached to bottom of the bowl with double face tape and drill my 5/8" whole in it. When your down assembling the last ring simply remove it. No hole to remove, usually just a light sanding removes any residue from the tape.

I use a small piece of 1/4 inch plywood attached to bottom of the bowl with double face tape and drill my 5/8" whole in it. When your down assembling the last ring simply remove it. No hole to remove, usually just a light sanding removes any residue from the tape.
Gee, that's too easy. Great idea.

Back