• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Segment Stomper for closed rings.

Johnrheyd

PRO Member
Wow Lloyd, initially I wasn't really too interested because I don't do open work, until I saw the closed ring centering feature - I really like this and think it would be great. Let us know when you get back into production on the Longworth spiral plate - really cool. In the mean time I"m going to start working on the stomper. Thanks for this invention. :eek:

I've tried many ways to center rings, using as much care and precision as possible;but all too often I've had to sacrifice wood to get things right. This Longworth spiral plate seems very promising. I guess I need to get to work on the Stomper, too!

Lloyd,
What a great video on the stomper. I have made a two piece sliding gizmo, but it isn't nearly as accurate as yours. Thanks for sharing how to make the stomper mechanism. Since I am frugal, I print each ring template, tape it to a rotating piece, and place the segments on them. The longworth chuck idea will certainly improve accuracy. Let us know when they are available, please.
Thanks,

Lloyd,
I was an early purchaser of the Longworth spiral plate.......couldn't I convert it to the stomper version? How?

Cliff,

Yes, you can easily convert it to use on both your Version 1 centering jig and the new Segment Stomper. All you need to do is turn a cylinder that matches the width of the center holes in the two disks and then drill a center hole that is exactly 13/16". This cylinder will keep the two disks in alignment and allow it to be centered on the Stomper. This is how I did it in the video. It works like a charm.

I do have a suggestion, though - if you build your own stomper, you might want to have two springs in it for closed segment vessels as they are heavier. It means spending an additional $7.98 for the popup sprinkler as I have not found a local source for a similar spring. You can take the two springs and simply intertwine them. I have done this and have two Stompers - one for lightweight work and another for heavier vessels.

Lloyd

Leslie,
Yes, I'll have international packaging for all of these products. It's becoming a smaller world, thankfully.
Lloyd

I've tried many ways to center rings, using as much care and precision as possible;but all too often I've had to sacrifice wood to get things right. This Longworth spiral plate seems very promising. I guess I need to get to work on the Stomper, too!

@Tom, I bought three of them years ago and set them up side-by-side on a workbench so I can build 3 vessels at a time. Be careful, once you use them, you'll never go back to building closed vessels any other way again!

Lloyd, when do you anticipate that the Spriral Longworth plates will be available? Also I don't quite understand the logic of using two springs for closed segment rings - even while they are heavier, why would spring tension be of concern - since you are simply pushing down with weight in any case? Seems to me that spring tension doesn't make any difference between open or closed segments - what am I missing?

Last edited:
John,
I met with my plastics company this morning and they are going to try to get a batch of chucks to me in the first part of January. They have been very backlogged, but they do such a good job that I hesitate to go somewhere else.

With regards to the two springs, I like to put the vessel on the plunger and have it supported above the rings until I'm ready to stomp it down. A closed segment vessel with 8-10 rings is heavy enough that putting it on the plunger will immediately cause it to plunge and probably before I'm ready for it to do so. The second spring is simply to keep it hovering over the rings until I'm ready.

This is completely optional, but I've found it to be beneficial. It won't make any difference to the gluing or clamping process, as you say.

Lloyd

Lloyd, I won't hold you to this but do you have any ball park idea as to how much you expect to sell these Longworth gizzmos for? I found a link on the internet on how to make a longworth chuck. It's somewhat complicated - dispite what the author said and I do think I would rather just buy one of yours instead - unless it breaks the bank:eek: By the way, got all my parts for the Stomper and about ready to put it together.

John,
I met with my plastics company this morning and they are going to try to get a batch of chucks to me in the first part of January. They have been very backlogged, but they do such a good job that I hesitate to go somewhere else.

With regards to the two springs, I like to put the vessel on the plunger and have it supported above the rings until I'm ready to stomp it down. A closed segment vessel with 8-10 rings is heavy enough that putting it on the plunger will immediately cause it to plunge and probably before I'm ready for it to do so. The second spring is simply to keep it hovering over the rings until I'm ready.

This is completely optional, but I've found it to be beneficial. It won't make any difference to the gluing or clamping process, as you say.

Lloyd

One more question on the Stomper Lloyd. In the directions for makeing my own Stomper, you say to bore out the Table fitting with a 1- 1/8 inch drill bit - just wondering how critical the hole size is?. I measured the sprinkler riser on the unit I purchased and it shows .78 inches. Seems to me that a 1- 1/8 hole is more then I would need. I was thnking that a 1 inch hole should be more then adquate or am I missing something here? I say this because you mentioned that for the base plywood, to just bore a hole out that would easily provide clearance for the riser.

One more question on the Stomper Lloyd. In the directions for makeing my own Stomper, you say to bore out the Table fitting with a 1- 1/8 inch drill bit - just wondering how critical the hole size is?. I measured the sprinkler riser on the unit I purchased and it shows .78 inches. Seems to me that a 1- 1/8 hole is more then I would need. I was thnking that a 1 inch hole should be more then adquate or am I missing something here? I say this because you mentioned that for the base plywood, to just bore a hole out that would easily provide clearance for the riser.

Ok ignore my question Lloyd - seeing is believeing- I built my stomper as per your instructions - and i see now why you need the 1-1/8 inch hole - it's for the keeper/centering ring at the top of the Orbits unit - that fits right into the 1-1/8th inch hole - good fit. Now I'm ready for the Longworth - can hardly wait for Santa!

Lloyd --- any news on the longwoth chuck? I am itching to buy one! Thanks.

Jim,

My manufacturer was not able to meet their delivery date (was supposed to be today) and it has been moved back approximately one week. The computer chip maker Intel is located in Portland and they are undergoing a major expansion and they consume vast amounts of plastic products and the local manufacturers are up to their eyeballs in work orders. My limited run, while appreciated, seems not be to large enough to bump an Intel order.

Anyway, I will let you know as soon as they are ready. I have the packaging materials all set and I placed a large enough order so that I will be able to fill all orders.

The introductory price of the Longworth attachment will be $89 (will be rising to $99) and the shipping to US and Canada will be $15 and International First Class will be $35. If you don’t already have the Stomper, a combined kit will be available.

So if I want to buy the LW and both segeasy plates, will you be doing a package deal for that as well? (I already built the stomper itself)

thanks

Yes, I will have 'kit' pricing, including a discount for the SegEasy and Longworth combination. I'm limited as to what I can do, though, as my selling price of the SegEasy plates is set by contract and I'm already offering a discount on the Longworth as an introductory price. I should have the pricing ready in a couple days as I'm trying my best to simplify the options.

Lloyd

I understand. I may have to buy the pieces separately anyway since I had to spend all my money on a new hip this year. I definitely want the LW chuck, though.

Heck Lloyd, just find a way to incorporate a 'chip' into the SegEasy's...then segments will just align and glue themselves AND it can go in with the Intel orders :)

"...The computer chip maker Intel is located in Portland and they are undergoing a major expansion and they consume vast amounts of plastic products and the local manufacturers are up to their eyeballs in work orders. My limited run, while appreciated, seems not be to large enough to bump an Intel order..."

I've heard a few people talking about the stomper, how to make one and a video. But I haven't found them. Would someone post a link here.

Thanks

Back