• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Glueing and constructing the segmented ring.

scott kolodin

PRO Member
I just joined and I'm new to segmented bowls. I have a couple of questions that I would like to ask. What is the best way to handle the excess glue on the segments after it dries. Using a hand sander, busing a circular stationary bench sander or hand sanding? Second, when gluing the segments together, should you cover each side of each segment with a film of glue or just use the glue sparingly on one or both sides. I use wax paper to help keep things clean but I find it sticks to the wood a glue and it hard to remove without taking sandpaper to it. Thanks for any advise to a newbie bowl segmenter,

- I wipe off the excess glue with a damp rag before it dries. This reduces the amount that has to removed after the glue dries.
- If the glue is excessive you can scrape off the glue before sanding.
- To get the rest of the glue off I run them through a drum sander doing very light passes. Glue can tend to gum up the sandpaper.

- There are many ways to glue segments together. Some glue up segments in pairs, some glue up all the segments at once for the ring using a clamp.
- In gluing pairs, I tend to put glue on one segment, take the second segment and rub the two together to spread the glue, squeeze the two segments together once they are aligned,
In glue pairs it is good to build half rings and then check how the two halves fit. When there is a gap the two halves ends can be sanded on a disk sander to eliminate the gap and a perfect fit.

If you can work fast enough you can glue all the segments for the ring at one time and clamp them with a hose clamp. After clamping you can wipe off excess glue while it is still wet.

If you having issues with the rings sticking to the wax paper you may be using too much glue.

- I wipe off the excess glue with a damp rag before it dries. This reduces the amount that has to removed after the glue dries.
- If the glue is excessive you can scrape off the glue before sanding.
- To get the rest of the glue off I run them through a drum sander doing very light passes. Glue can tend to gum up the sandpaper.

- There are many ways to glue segments together. Some glue up segments in pairs, some glue up all the segments at once for the ring using a clamp.
- In gluing pairs, I tend to put glue on one segment, take the second segment and rub the two together to spread the glue, squeeze the two segments together once they are aligned,
In glue pairs it is good to build half rings and then check how the two halves fit. When there is a gap the two halves ends can be sanded on a disk sander to eliminate the gap and a perfect fit.

If you can work fast enough you can glue all the segments for the ring at one time and clamp them with a hose clamp. After clamping you can wipe off excess glue while it is still wet.

If you having issues with the rings sticking to the wax paper you may be using too much glue.
Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it.

If funds don’t allow the purchase of a drum sander, you can use an approach like this to flatten one side of a ring...

Mount a ~10” disk 3/4” MDF on a faceplate and draw concentric circles around the center at 1/2” increments starting about 3” from the center.
Add 2 or 3 parallel strips of double-sided tape above and belo the center.
Use the concentric circles to help you approximately center the ring.
With gentle pressure, you can use a woodturning gouge to flatten the disk or
Use a sanding block at slow speed to sand the ring. This is the safer method as it sands while applying pressure against the MDF

Once the ring is sanded on one side, you can glue that ring to your turning and then flatten the other side of the ring at which time it will again be parallel to the base ring.

I did this for over 10 years without an incident but remember to wear safety glasses and replace the tape regularly to prevent injury.

Lloyd

Back